Note to New Members ×

Your childhood's or youth's mountain

BlueB

My niece has sent this beautiful bluebird pic of Mt. Kopaonik. It's the place where I skied the most, when I was young. 

20180227_160158.jpg.ec6671f27f7307a420acff89d4475855.jpg

I still remember my very first trip, with my dad. Mountain only had a slow diesel single-seater that belonged to the Army, servicing the radars on top, and 2 horendous "kidney extractor" ground level cable lifts... 

Now, it's a gigantic super busy resort with 24 lifts! 

Show yours! 

grunholz.jpg.0ff864a56056834f67962d5f47ebd508.jpg

This is the T-bar 200 meters uphill from my parents' house. It's still in operation and looks pretty much as it did back then. They replaced the short-stick T-bars that needed a liftie to hand you the thing with longer-handled modern ones, and they can make snow now (a necessity at an elevation of around 2,500 ft). In the 70s, vacationers would patiently stand in line four abreast, more than a hundred deep, when the lifts higher up couldn't operate due to the weather. When it was less busy, it functioned as my ersatz kindergarten - hike up in the morning, ski until noon with pals, ski home for lunch, hike back up.