Note to New Members ×

Raichle ankle nuts?

johnstewart

I've got a pair of Raicle 123's.

I finally think I understand all the settings on the forward lean (I replaced mine with the 5-pos ones from a pair of 124's).

It is still a total mystery how the ankle nuts should be adjusted. On each side there is an allen nut and around it a plastic thingie that spins (with 3 indentations in it).

If I tighten up the allen nut, the top of the boot will not slide in the channel in the lower part of the boot. I don't know what spinning the plastic piece around it is supposed to accomplish. I also don't know if I'm supposed to want this free to flex, or should it be tightened down?

Can anyone explain why this is there and the optimal way to adjust it?

thanks!

Guest Randy S.

As far as I can tell, those things are just there to break. When you do break it, you can find the instructions for fixing it HERE.

I used to just keep enough tension on mine so they didn't fall out.

Sounds like you have to hold the spinning piece (t nut?) in place while you turn the exterior allen bolt. I think I used channel locks

Carefully though! I needed to lower the cuffs on my 124's and the cool little hardboot-shaped allen tool that came with them stripped and almost rounded the allen head.

They must use some lousy threadlock on the nuts that comes close to breaking the hardware.

ds

Originally posted by corey_dyck

If I understand you right, you're saying the upper cuff can't rotate when the bolt is tight? If so, something's wrong. Both my 123's and 413's will pivot even with the cant bolts tight. Maybe there's something missing?

I guess I don't understand then. What is their purpose if not to prevent the boot from moving on that hinge??

The 5-position lean adjuster will determine how much the boot pivots forwards and backwards, and the boot tongue will determine how stiff the boot is when the lean adjuster is set to walk or powder modes. Those side cants allow you to tilt the boot to one side to match any physical issues you may have.

As people already pointed out they are for side canting. I DO NOT ride with mine loose, and actually always check the adjustment at different times during the season to ensure that they are in the right place. I have nice straight legs(not bowed or knock-kneed) so I ride with my cuffs straight, but pushed down low. I do agree with Randy that they are a poor system for canting and tend to break. I've had to replace 3 bolts alkready. IF you really have some serious cant issues you're better off doing it at a boot fitter, or using shims.

Originally posted by $trider

As people already pointed out they are for side canting. I DO NOT ride with mine loose, and actually always check the adjustment at different times during the season to ensure that they are in the right place.

Yours were loose on Monday night; that's what I was looking at in your boots (trying to figure out what to do with mine)!