Note to New Members ×

More foot pain--help me find relief

AJCdice

2 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

I would recommend shell stretching before permanently compromising the integrity of the shell by grinding.  I had a shop do this for more width in my UPZs, it made all the difference.

AJC, ya may find that with a 2-3mm 'stretch', that the liners can be left 'as-is'. ALSO, Beware of what Socks you choose too wear! I used to use Thorlo Ski-Socks, but now run thinner socks, such as Burton's AK. So, have your trusted Bootfitter 'only' stretch the fore-boot, pick your socks carefully, give it at least a half-day+ of riding time. From there, a second mold-up would be wiser than yet-another 'stretch' (or a grind, which IS a 'Last resort tactic'). Stretching the plastic takes a lil' bit of resilience outa the boot, but weakens it far less than removing material by grinding. Keep in mind, too, that liners, even molded ones like Zip-Fits, will 'pack in' over time/pressure/use. Oh, and, btw, are you using a molded footbed? That, also can be gently adjusted (or, put on a belt grinder!) to remove pressure points or increase volume in the liner.

Edited by Eric Brammer aka PSR

PSR,

I do run really thin socks.  I do have an aftermarket footbed, but not a nice custom one.  I should probably invest in real-deal custom beds (silver bottom/green top) like I used to have that somehow have been lost.  I think my a-la-carte method to assembling and fitting these boots kind of bit me and I may have been pennywise/pound foolish.  I bought the Free 69 shells only, added F2 Intec heels, bought the Palau 151 liner separately from YYZ and had them fit at a reputable but local fitter, but maybe didn't advocate for a truly proper fitting as I bought none of the gear from the fitter and it wasn't "theirs".  

Contrast that to when I walked into Startingate like 15 years ago and bought the combo (CMC as salesperson) of Raichle 325's with thermoflex and intec built in, matching Raichle bindings, two tongues, custom molded footbeds and got fitted like a pro.  I couldn't believe I could use a shell that small relative to my usual shoe size and they fit like that.  Those boots revolutionized my riding and comfort and I used them right up until last year. 

I will update post-stretch.   

Edited by AJCdice
  • Like 1

^Don't blame yourself for trying. A good fitter shouldn't really care about where you bought your stuff, he/she should simply get on with the job and do what needs to be done.

And charge you accordingly.

As to grinding/punching, etc: if the pain comes from an extended area, you're probably better off punching first, then grinding to spec. If the pain comes from a spot, grind if you need 2mm or less, punch if you need more. And if your bare foot isn't contacting the side of the shell with no liner, you may find it advantageous to grind the liner in the affected area.

Regardless, it sounds like you have a bit of a compound problem, so don't expect to resolve it with one-stop shopping.

Edited by Beckmann AG
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

YYZ canuck sells cant kits and lift kits, buy a few, then source longer bolts for the spots needed if you double up the 4mm lift kits, you should recreate the setup you had with cateck and you can with F2, just buy the cant's and risers.

Yes, go to a good shop and stretch the boots, I imagine after getting set up correctly some of the new pressure may change, so set up then boot fitter.

Catching up to the new question, heelsides.

First, setup, then, drop the butt lower, get the board on edge, more.

Wow, another old topic of me complaining.  To close the loop on this one, I heatgunned and punched the forefoot out with one of those leveraged ski boot stretchers and it did the trick—no pain.  Now just to solve for bad technique on bad snow!