Note to New Members ×

Getting the full extension on toe side advice

eusahn

18 hours ago, SolRosenburg said:

Respect the carve. Don't butcher it. 

Yup, its a trick and not a high g-carve.  And i certainly subscribe to all of yur thoughts on this.  However, it is an important skill to own (especially just last week, when on a narrow, steep, icy slope there was not enough grip to get that "uphill swing" to bleed off speed by my fangs alone.  And in this scenario its the fangs alone riders who r blowing out and butchering the carve and the skilled outriggers who could get a carve. But i wish u were there that day as it least i would not be the only rider scraping snow and pissing the others guys off ?.

16 hours ago, Rob Stevens said:

Ryan has a few different velocities going here, as part of a progression.

At his fastest, you can see that his arm is projecting out in front of him, from the shoulder (the still used on the videos title page). In this position, there is very little structurally in place to support any weight whatsoever. At the beginning of his progression though, you do see a fair amount of weight on the arm as he "garlands", or traverses the slope. This is evidenced by the trench his arm leaves and the 90 degree bend in the elbow, with his upper arm perpendicular to the surface, as a prop.

What necessitates this is the need for a progression. If a novice could possibly come flashing into this move the first time, performing an arc that supported all the riders weight on the edge, as an instructor, you'd be good. The reality is that the novice should start this slowly.

Eventually, you can do this turn without support. That said, as I mentioned, I like to do it at a variety of speeds and for different purposes. When I do it slowly or fast to bleed off speed, I tend to be either on my thigh and hip, or on my thigh, hip and torso, so I'd add that to my list of "shapes" that a rider could make as they were building skills for this manouever.

We've seen this argument before... I'll call it an error of omission. As Ryan doesn't really explain in detail what I'm saying above (where arm pressure decreases as skill and velocity increases) you might be left thinking that it's not a part of his methodology. It is.

Yup,  I have footage of Bryan talking about this for the vid but didn't use it as his facemask was up and the audio wasn't very good.  Will probably include it as a random tip in a future vid.

the Edge on my Board leaves a Track, Ride the Edge...when we add Body Parts tracks from touching the Snow, it is very important that they be symmetrical, if not, this creates a negative vibration to the individual Snow Crystals...leaving a messy set of lines on the canvas...also the base harmony of the Edge is disturbed by this change in pressures, be they ever so slight...creating a disharmony in the Cosmos...

22 minutes ago, softbootsurfer said:

the Edge on my Board leaves a Track, Ride the Edge...when we add Body Parts tracks from touching the Snow, it is very important that they be symmetrical, if not, this creates a negative vibration to the individual Snow Crystals...leaving a messy set of lines on the canvas...also the base harmony of the Edge is disturbed by this change in pressures, be they ever so slight...creating a disharmony in the Cosmos...

remember to only carve when a butterfly isnt flapping its wings also!

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:44 PM, SolRosenburg said:

My apologies,  i'll try to tip-toe through the tulips next time. I do appreciate you looking out for me though as I embark on this journey and navigate through the sea of snowboarding yentas.

I am a huge fan of yentas in my chili...... mmmmmmmmm.....

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, just got caught up on this Sol gossip. Reminds me of when my Father-in-Law (a very mediocre skier) sees people ripping moguls like they were Jonny Moseley and says "I just don't like that style of riding moguls, that's why I don't do it." 

I guess for my part, if it's smooth it's fun and I respect it. And damn Ryan is smooth. 

Stay smooth yentas. 

• Like 2