Note to New Members ×

Stowe advice

crote123

Stowe is a great mountain but is maybe not ideal for carving. Most of the runs off the Gondola are decent for carving but pretty tame. There are a bunch of steeper runs ("the front five") off the main detachable chair that would be great for carving but are seldom groomed. If those are groomed: enjoy). Otherwise there are some mellower blues to skiers right that make for good (if mellow) carving.

Crote, don't expect Star to be any good, it has a cliff-band/waterfall on the top-left of the headwall, and usually is just bumps and ice thereafter. Nice view of the parking-lot from the lip, but Not of the Trail below, so scout it from below. Forget Goat unless you are fond of very tight-width and steep bump runs. 

Off the Gondola, Perry Merril, Gondolier are the attractions. Sterling area is very mellow, but at least will hold it's grooming into the afternoon.

As I was following skiers and the SO (and she won't do blacks at all), I tended to stick to blues with them.  So, did not try any of those off that chair. in the morning, conditions were OK on top but soon turned to very,very hard hardpack and ice as you made your way down.  We tended to stay on the Mt Mainsfield lodge side.  They were quite a few people out there (I believe, NY, MA and CT schools had their week off this week) so often you'd find yourself surrounded by sticks :)  Lord had good snow albeit it's a bit mellow but at least could dig in even in the afternoon.

Did a run off the gondola; Perry Merril was pretty good, a little icy with small bumps but when it was wide open, it was quite fun.  Would have probably kept doing that one if I hadn't kept following the group.  The "west" runs off Sunny Spruce were in good conditions and I probably had the best run of the day off of them.

I guess they don't see alpine boards there often as I was getting double takes from many of the snowboard instructors...

tx