Note to New Members ×

Shoulder Surgery Again

utahcarver

Back in the summer of 2005 I had surgery on my left shoulder for rotator cuff/labrum repair. Tomorrow I will have a similar surgery plus a repair to the bicep tendon on the right shoulder. I tore it at work picking up a heavy box. I'm expecting much the same experience this time and I'm not too worried about it. What I'd like to know is if anyone is using a brace or a support for their shoulder repairs? MotoSport.com has a Shock Doctor 824 for a single shoulder which would be fine since the left shoulder is the only issue at this point. Anyone had experience with this brace or others?

Mark

(Could one of the moderators move this for me? Sorry, folks, I wasn't paying attention to the forum heading. Thanks)

Edited by utahcarver

• 1 month later...

I had my left shoulder rebuilt around ~2010 if I remember correctly. Since the rebuild I have not had any issues with it whatsoever. Nearly 100% ROM at this point and very stable (the right shoulder is slowly disintegrating due to paddling in the surf) but the left shoulder is solid. My left shoulder issues were the result of various traumatic events, mostly snowboarding related, but also got hit by a car cycling, and once it ripped out while strength training (that was fun) etc ... it was in terrible shape. Haven't had the need to use any braces or anything. 2hr surgury, + 6months of PT. Because of the various sports stuff that I do the doctor elected to not perform a labroscopic procedure and I have a big scar as a result but I think performing the surgury the traditional way made a big difference. Had it done at HSS in NY, which was really great to have as a local option again. If I ever need any further serious surgury of this type I will go back there. Good luck!

I looked into a lot of braces and they all seemed too restrictive coupled with a ski jacket and mitts.  Having had both shoulders surgically repaired, I would suggest:

Do all of the P.T. you can and then, when you are released from P.T., keep doing it at home.

Don't try to land a big air wake boarding, you can pull your shoulder out of the socket after surgery.  It hurts a lot when it won't go back into place.

58 minutes ago, Keenan said:

I looked into a lot of braces and they all seemed too restrictive coupled with a ski jacket and mitts.

Although I never used a brace post-surgury, I did try using one for a season or two prior to having the shoulder fixed; and my experience is similar. I found that the braces were pretty restrictive/useless/incredibly irritating. I timed my surgery such that I would be fully-recovered by the time carving season came along. As Keenan mentioned: you need to be careful in the healing period and allow things to *fully* mend before getting wild with it ... otherwise a single error could land you right back where you started.

Thanks for all the great input. Most of the advice given is right down the line with what the PT docs are saying. Heal, heal, heal. Otherwise, another tear means surgery and a nylon mesh patch over the shoulder to just get it back to zero. This would represent possibly a 20 percent loss in strength and range of motion. So, it's easy slow movements after 6 weeks and a slow building of strength in the repaired areas. When I had shoulder repair back in 2005, I noted a change in my riding stance for my upper body. I began keeping my elbows inward toward my hips. When I did let them fly, it was within a limited range which never went below my thighs or my chest. I think it was a 'self-preservation' mode that my body naturally took to. 

Have a great season everyone!

Mark