Note to New Members ×

My safety vid...

RyanKnapton

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2016/04/05/skier-sought-in-fatal-collision-at-breckenridge-ski-resort/

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2016/04/04/skier-dies-on-expert-trail-at-breckenridge/

I assume this is the accident that was mentioned in the video.

not only that, at a resort(don't wanna name), I've seen ski racer kids bomb the steep narrow to a flat and just air out a good 3-4 secs before touching down to the ground on another steep section with absolutely no clue what was at landing before leaping.  

Now that is just reckless.....

Wide trail does make the probability of getting hit less likely.

• Like 1

OY!, So many moments like that in my time!  When I taught at Okemo, I dreaded the 11 am 'private, 1hr.' slot, as that put me on the (usually) lower mountain, just in time for the Conn. Lunch Crowd (They ALL ate at the same time?!?) to be heading to either the base or mid-lodge. Often, I'd just put myself between the Perp and my student, and try not to get slammed too hard. One guy hit me (big dude, too) while I did a 'goalie save' of my 12 yr old female student; hit so hard that he broke my Nitro Pyro between the bindings. Broke his ski boot, too. 

Best thing, btw is your Hearing for defense. You hear 'shralpp' just uphill of you, go the other way, quickly!  I also use my toeside turns to take a gander at what's uphill of me, which can help you pace or re-locate your turns to avoid potential collisions.

Nicely done, Ryan! 

Thank you for this video.

I have a 9 year old whom I have spent a number of hours trying to instill this very concept. There have been days where I pulled him from the mountain with the threat of leaving if he didn't use "spacial awareness"... I will say that not all parents or instructors have instilled this, and I thank a well respected name such as yours for pointing this out.

Keep shredding and we all love the videos.