Note to New Members ×

Angelyc - Brooklyn Snowboards

Speedzilla

Anyone know anything about this company? I picked up a board on eBay that according to the label was made by Angelyc / Brooklyn Snowboards.

"Made in Brooklyn USA"

Here's a pic of the board that was on the auction listing:

68_1_b.JPG

I just got the board on Saturday. I would have ridden it this weekend but the inserts are a different size. M5 maybe?

It has a real carbon fiber top sheet.

Try a standard 1/4" bolt (1/4-20) for fit, that used to be common on US made boards years ago. Mervin Mfg used it as a selling point on their Gnus and Lib-Techs! Another possibility is that it was built with M6 inserts and someone retapped the holes.

Originally posted by PaulY

Try a standard 1/4" bolt (1/4-20) for fit, that used to be common on US made boards years ago. Mervin Mfg used it as a selling point on their Gnus and Lib-Techs! Another possibility is that it was built with M6 inserts and someone retapped the holes.

I'll try a 1/4" bolt tonight and see if it fits, thanks for the tip.

Saw your board up against the ticket office window on Sunday, Dave. I was only there for one run (ha ha good old season pass), so didn't see you.

I also have been pondering the insert problem on these boards ( I bought one too). the first hole I tried, gave that cross thread / wrong thread feel within half a turn so I went no further. Figuring this might be some prehistoric US company, I gingerly tried a 1/4 / 20 with same result. I went back to the 6mm in a different insert and after a little force, it went easily. So I think it's a matter of cleaning out the threads with a snapped off 6mm tap. No sense in our both breaking a tap, so I'll get get one tomorrow and try it. If it works, I can pass it on to you.

also Thanks for the great photos

BOB D

"So I think it's a matter of cleaning out the threads with a snapped off 6mm tap. No sense in our both breaking a tap, so I'll get get one tomorrow and try it. If it works, I can pass it on to you."

Take a regular tap to a grinding wheel and carefully remove the tapered end section, or go back to the hardware store and ask for a bottoming tap.

Originally posted by BobD

Saw your board up against the ticket office window on Sunday, Dave. I was only there for one run (ha ha good old season pass), so didn't see you.

I also have been pondering the insert problem on these boards ( I bought one too). the first hole I tried, gave that cross thread / wrong thread feel within half a turn so I went no further. Figuring this might be some prehistoric US company, I gingerly tried a 1/4 / 20 with same result. I went back to the 6mm in a different insert and after a little force, it went easily. So I think it's a matter of cleaning out the threads with a snapped off 6mm tap. No sense in our both breaking a tap, so I'll get get one tomorrow and try it. If it works, I can pass it on to you.

also Thanks for the great photos

BOB D

I thought that might have been your factory prime sitting out there. Conditions were rough on Sunday although it is real nice now. They made snow for a couple days and everything is in tip top shape.

Let me know if you make any progress on the "Angelyc/Brooklyn Speed".

I'll be at Buck Thursday evening. I need to test a few boards and decide which ones I'll be keeping and which ones need to go. I ordered a Coiler for next year.

• 8 months later...
Guest DruckenCarver

Hey, how's this for digging up an old thread? =)

I haven't been to Buck for a couple of years, but I used to cut trenches with you guys. And, I *just* got an Angelic-Brooklyn board with the carbon fiber top just like you guys! Thanks for the info about the threads, I was worried there for a minute that mine was going to be a pain. But, you were right, the standard 6mm bolts go in just fine.

So, yeah, this board *is* pretty dang stiff, but the sidecut seems pretty deep, at least to the Crazy Banana board I was riding (Dean's old board before he got his Renntiger). How does this thing ride? I had to give up the Crazy Banana because I used to be able to carve pretty tight with it when I weighed 210-215 but now at 185 the heel edge is just a little too much work on skinny, midwestern hills.

I bought this board for the deeper sidecut (the CB's almost *straight!*) and shorter length hoping it would be a shorter, quicker carver but didn't realize it was so stiff. What are everyone's thoughts on it?

- Chris D

I just compared the side cut to a Speed 160 and would guess it to be a little over 9 M. I can get 26 turns in, coming down the main hill at Buck. It's different to my Burtons and takes me several runs to get the measure of it when I've been riding other boards. Once I've got it dialed in, it's a solid ride. It's as stiff as the Burton Speed, but flexes more deeply (proberbly why I originally thought the sidecut was smaller). Torsionally, it seems a little less stiff than the Burton, but I had no problems with chatter. I was about 155lbs last season.

See you on the hill in a few weeks ( I wish)

BobD

Guest DruckenCarver

See you on the hill in a few weeks ( I wish)

BobD

Hmm ... I dunno about that. What I mean is I don't think I can bring myself to give any more $$ to Buck. I kinda swore off it two seasons ago when I'd had it with myself, my wife and friends of mine getting smacked into by out-of-control kids out there. It's just too small a space and too conveniently located that there's hardly ever good times to be out there anymore, especially since they took away our 9-10 p.m. sweet spot by closing an hour early! :nono:

But, maybe I'll drag myself out there just to hang with y'alls again. It's been a while! I do miss the unusually healthy carving community Buck's always had.

Guest Randy S.

Wait a minute. You guys are riding in MN already? Wow!

I'd go nuts if I had to ride at one of those puny mountains all the time. I did it in College a little and it was miserable. Mt. Brighton, what a joke! Boyne was a pimple too (well, a couple of pimples). I'm so spoiled now that I live out here.

Hmm ... I dunno about that. What I mean is I don't think I can bring myself to give any more $$ to Buck. I kinda swore off it two seasons ago when I'd had it with myself, my wife and friends of mine getting smacked into by out-of-control kids out there. It's just too small a space and too conveniently located that there's hardly ever good times to be out there anymore, especially since they took away our 9-10 p.m. sweet spot by closing an hour early! :nono:

But, maybe I'll drag myself out there just to hang with y'alls again. It's been a while! I do miss the unusually healthy carving community Buck's always had.

Saturday and Sunday mornings are typically great times to carve at Buck. Evenings are good too, closing is at 9:30 so you only lose 1/2 an hour.

I like to get out when it's really cold, then there is no one there.

Wait a minute. You guys are riding in MN already? Wow!

I'd go nuts if I had to ride at one of those puny mountains all the time. I did it in College a little and it was miserable. Mt. Brighton, what a joke! Boyne was a pimple too (well, a couple of pimples). I'm so spoiled now that I live out here.

No, we've got a month before we are on snow here. Check some of the dates in this post ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest DruckenCarver

Finally took this baby out to Welch Village Sunday and I love it! The real test for me was on the super steep pitches they have on some of the slopes. The Angelic just dug right in solidly even though some of it looked a little scraped-off/icy.