Note to New Members ×

Are the UPZ ATBS too soft?

1xsculler

Depending what you wanted to do with them...

Also, with UPZs you can get lots of flex options just by changing the tongues. I believe the silver is stiffest, black medium and red softest. ATB comes with red. A fiend of mine who rides 10s, changed supplied black for red, to soften them.

Also, the odds are that if your feet liked the UPZ shape, they won't like Deelux.

Also, the odds are that if your feet liked the UPZ shape, they won't like Deelux.

That was true for me. I like the red ATBs, maybe because they're softer and I came from (real) softboots, but probably just because they fit my foot best.

i am trying to figure this out right now myself.

just got some new atb's, and the fit is great.

I was told to not switch out the red tongue that came with the boots to anything stiffer, as it would wreck the shell?

I may try the medium stiff/black anyway, but not sure of they would fit, as the other tongues have 2 buckles on the lower part on top of the foot, and my reds in my ATB's only have one.

anyone try this?

I am coming from old Burton shadows and ride softies mostly, so the atb's feel stiff enough for me, and super-comfy. 

The bottom-most buckle on the ATB and the RC8 is a bit further back (farther from the toes) than on the RC10. You would need to remove both buckles and rivet one in the new spot. I would not bother if I were you. The stiffer tongue will probably just mess up the boot flex.

• 1 month later...

to anyone with experience with both: are the rc10's much more stiff than the atb's? I love the fit and feel of the atb, but combined with f2 carve rs bindings, my setup is feeling a bit flexy. should i stiffen up the boots, bindings (to td3 standard), or both? I free carve on this setup, no racing, but we have steep narrow slopes here and i feel i am pushing (mostly my) limits to keep the board in a carve without sliding some of the time. I read the thread about carving on steep slopes, and identify with these scenarios. thanks for any advice, loving carving again (on new equipment) after only soft booting for the past bunch of years.