Note to New Members ×

SG 157 Full Race setup

gdboytyler

I just got a used SG 157 Full Race in good condition.

What's the recommended binding setup? I currently mounted my bindings centered on the binding inserts. I should get a chance for a test drive next week.

The last short alpine board I had was a MADD 158 (the sequel), which I rode biased towards the nose. I also tried the MADD with the bindings centered on the inserts, but it turned quicker when biased towards the nose. I ended up selling the MADD after a few days of riding it.

I do ride SG 163 Full Race on mostly on not-ideal condition and I ride on center.  Used to have 170 FC and 175 FR and mounted on center for all SGs.  I didn't find much use of forward binding placement to turn tighter for all SG and other modern race boards.

For Madd 158, I used to ride with at least one full insert forward but nowadays ride more of center.

Enjoy the SG SL board.  It's the most versatile board in my book.

Edited by piusthedrcarve

Thanks for the info, I'll leave my bindings centered.

I also plan on riding my SG SL when the carving conditions are NOT ideal.  

When carving conditions are good, I usually do EC on the groomed black runs and switch to a freestyle board when the snow gets bumped up.  Hopefully, I'll extend my carving time with the slalom board. 

Ok, so the Bias towards the nose on the Madds 158, was due to the camber profile and carbon butterfly wing. Don't Project that Expectation on others, please!

When Gilmour put this together, the issue was resonance, and torsional flex. Resonance frequency equals an osciilation bandwidth, and the Madds cured that with vibration dampening with a flex pattern that's not been equalled in 22 years.Few boards could offer that, even now.

You're on the right track with Sigi, as he (as I do) believe in putting body moves Ahead of the expected carved curve, to make a turn control speed IN the turn! 

What determines  your next step is this; Edge hold, all thru the turn, : or, do you want edge 'bounce' in the fluff?

There are decks out there that bring the best of these things together, you need to ask the board-builders themselves for the specifics.

Good luck , 'PSR', still lookin' for that "perfect" ride since '78 or so.

• 2 weeks later...

I got to try out the SG 157 for the first time yesterday.  I started off the day on my Coiler 171 and after a couple of runs, the snow already started to get soft.  By the time I switched to the SG 157, all the firm cord was gone, but still carvable.

Even with the soft conditions, I was laying down hip-to-hip carves almost immediately.  The last short alpine board I had was a MADD 158 (I think 3rd gen).  In the soft groom which got cut up quickly, I definitely prefer the SG over the MADD. 

It's been over 5 years or so since I had the MADD, but I remembered it feeling a little squirrely at higher speeds.  With the SG, I was hitting 42 mph and feeling completely comfortable.  I was more worried about hitting a slow spot and going head over heels.

On the steepest run I had available at Bear Mt, I was able to lay over a tight carve and go uphill to scrub speed.  I was worried the variable side cut might make it difficult to complete a carve.

SG doesn't have recommended weights on their spec sheet, but the flex on the SG 157 FR PT felt for good my 140-145 lb (with gear).

Being in So Cal, in March, I probably won't experience any icy conditions to test out the SG unless I take a trip to Mammoth. 

Edited by gdboytyler

Nice!! I'm stoked to see you could trust a 'short' board to go Fast!   :biggthump

In racing, here out East, I've often found that running a slightly 'short' board let me stay at the right tempo through gates. I could keep it a clean, high arc (vs. sluffing speed by re-directing the nose), and If I had that extra moment  between turns, I'd step on the tail for a pumped boost. The disadvantage is, of course, getting too far ahead of, or behind of, the shorter board's edging. Having a tighter arc, though, is nice on those twisty New England trails found around here.