Note to New Members ×

Initiating turns with rear leg

Mucknbullets

Now I am just doing a bit of carpet carving whilst sitting bored in a hotel room and it seems that on toe side I am definitely putting pressure on my rear leg first. Now is this just because I am on carpet or my stance is wrong (weight balance is not centred) or do I need more cant to stop leg coming in first?

OK I know I am on carpet, in new boots and bindings but leave for the mountain Saturday and just trying to dial it in especially after the nightmare I had last time out. Oh and thanks to Ryan Knapton for his excellent and really simple explanation of how to carve. It makes sense now and I must stop the counter rotation and bull whip stuff.

Cheers.

It's an indication that your hip didn't move forward prior to 'getting up on edge'.  It takes both legs to ride, and the front foot is FIRST for a reason. My mantra for edge-pressure in carving is front-foot; both feet; rear foot; repeat.... If your hip stays aft outa that last turn, the board will be AHEAD of you, and, well, Good Luck Then!

With the 'carpet riding' are you using a full-length mirror (or remote vid link)? It pays off a bit to see what occurs when move move your body, legs, or roll-up onto edge. You want to have both side-on (from toeside), and head-on views.  Granted, one's timing can be wholly off, and 'dynamic' moves are not wise here, with no centri-pedal forces to keep the internal gyroscope up + spinning. But what you can discover is posture from neutral to edged, and pressure points in the fit of your equipment. It may also help you discern your binding angles, stance width, and boot /binding canting. In this process, be it on shag, or on snow, make only ONE tweak/adjustment at a time; there's too many variables otherwise.

• Like 1

I think we all do it from time to time but it isn't the way you want your body to be working for every turn. Being centered side to side front to back requires your body to move in all directions in a fluid motion at all times in the ride and through the turns. Forcing a kick here or there to initiate or complete a turn is required from time to time but not an ideal use of your muscles. How you start from a standing stop by kicking out with your rear foot to initiate movement isn't how you want to ride at speed or on the steeps but it is something you need to have available as a tool for some situations. Some times after fastening your bindings you might hop to turn and start gliding but your not going to do it for every turn. Learn all the moves but ideally you want to use the moves that require the least amount of effort to complete the task. Unless you riding for gold then you do whatever it takes to beat whoever you are competing against. The most important rule is to have a smile on your face at the end of the run no matter how you do it !