Note to New Members ×

Smallest carving board setup?

patmoore

We're talking a ways down the road but I'd like to know the smallest gear out there.  My three year old grandson is off to a good start and I suspect will be carving soon.  The shortest board I have is a 154 cm Hot Shine.  

30wplbm.jpg

Pat, one of the smallest I have seen is  the SG 125cm ,   it is also one of the highest end little carvers I have seen.   Mine is for sale at 225$ Including shipping if anyone is interested.   Bryan

PS. Chip off the old block!!! 

I see allot of snowboarding videos of 18 month infants snowboarding.  They are basically standing on the board as it glides along on flat surface. Not to take away from this, it takes balance and strength to stay standing,  your video is of your grandson riding and navigating on his own!!  Very cool to see!!  He has come from a great gene pool obviously :)

• Like 1

I see a factory prime 135 on Ebay.  Tried to ride one once.  Like strapping a lunch tray to your feet.  

My kids were on Burton Choppers starting at 3 also.  Great stuff.  If you can get them in hard boots early, more power to you.  I would be scared to have them going that fast before they are in the double digits.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions.  A former co-worker told me has two brand new Rossignol carving boards in 135cm.  Have you ever heard of such a model?  He said he'd give me one.  I skyped with the grandson a few days ago on his fourth birthday and asked how his boarding was going and he said "I'm carving!".

He just won a ski race and is now getting into hockey (he lives in Calgary.

2ch56b6.jpg

Pat, back in , oh, 1992-3, we had Rossi's in the Rentals at Okemo. The 135 was a mini-alpine board (no inserts in those days), squared-off tail and pointy nose, probably an 8 M sidecut, a tad stiff for lightweights, but usable. I don't know how long Rossi kept making a similar board, but I recall seeing them at Bromley in '97, this time, with inserts, and a bit skinnier, too.

BTW, my 'short' carve set-up was (for years, and years) a Rad-Air Soul 148cm Asym.  That thing was a hoot to blast around on! I rode it teaching, but also for Slalom, bumps, and for BX racing. I've still got it, but it needs p-tex along by the edges, and the top looks like hell..

My Gordo 151 FF has an even shorter edge (118cm), and the tightest sidecuts (7.3 M, toeside, 8.1 M heelside) of any board I've owned.. It's a Sym-Asym twintip from '94 or so, made in Michigan by Scott Gordon. If I do make it to the ECES, I'll be using that board in Softies.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Pat. I have some Drake and some other odds and ends.   There are definitely some issues with some of them.  Like 4x4 only , and some have limited angle options.   Most of mine are NOS so you would want to contact me directly as I do not want to put them up for sale here. 

I saw a guy at Crystal Mt., WA, last friday doing some nice carving on a Lib Tech B-level snow skate.  77cm long, no bindings, just a skateboard attached with trucks to a very small snowboard.  He couldn't do extreme carving but he was having a lot of fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pat. I have some Drake and some other odds and ends.   There are definitely some issues with some of them.  Like 4x4 only , and some have limited angle options.   Most of mine are NOS so you would want to contact me directly as I do not want to put them up for sale here. 

Did you get my  PM?  I can be reached at pmoore (at) snet.net

• 1 month later...