Note to New Members ×

Don't hate me

gawdzira

Just loved to read this!

Unlike most of you I've never given up skiing - I just started snowboarding a few years ago (and never used anything but hard boots and an alpine board), and I'm afraid to admit I'm still a better carver on my Volants than on my Alp - even though on a groomed run it's way more fun on a board. But in the end, a carve is a carve - no matter what gear is used.

And on the "aesthetics" subject - when I originally learned to ski in Europe decades ago, the "keep-your-skis-so-close-together-that-your-boot-buckles-get-caught" style was all the rage, it was considered "elegant" - but not anymore! Styles and tastes change; we can agree or disagree, but in the end aesthetics is purely subjective...

Yeah, I still ski some. I'M NOT ASHAMED TO ADMIT IT!!! :) Over the past 10 years, I've mostly snowboarded, but I always had a pair of skiis just in case. (Since I was teaching it was a good thing that I could teach both!) There were many days I was faced with the decision of which equipment to get on in the morning. Usually it depended on what my plans were for the day and who I was going to be with. And yes, like others, there were more than a few times that I wished I was on the other from what I chose that morning. AND YES, it's a pain to lug stuff around and even more of a pain to run up those credit cards!!!! This year I got new skiis (Atomic SX-7) so my snowboard supply is going to have to do for now. (F2 Eliminator and Oxygen FR47)

My daughter is now 3 and has been skiing with me some this year. Last year she was mostly in the backpack. I was just not strong enough to get her up the rope tow, but when we went to a different place that had a chairlift in the beginner area, she skiied and did well at about 29 months. I used an "H-Bar" with her last year. (see www.kid-ski.com) My feeling is that I'd like her to learn to ski before she snowboards. And that's only and IF she wants too. I've seen many little kids on snowboards flying down the beginner hills totally out of control. I've seen other little kids get very frustrated and not have fun with it.

The picture I'm attaching is of me skiing with Clara on my old skiis. I don't want her skiing over the tops of my new ones just yet!

Kathy

post-301-141842200786_thumb.jpg

Hello Kathy,

Are you a professional instructor?

I taught for 2 seasons when I was 17 and 18 yrs old (which was back before the great wars).

I see that you are using the tip locking device and it appears that your darling daughter has a harness on. Do you let her lead and hold onto cords to check her speed.

When I have seen people use this method it seemed to make sense to me because it forces the child to keep their weight forward. Are the tip locking devices a must?

Thanks,

alan

our little one (3) just started skiing- and like her big sister (now 8 and proficient on "easier" black runs) she's using "edgie-wedgies", the contraption that lock the tips of her skis together. She learned how to position her feet before she ever got on skis: feet apart - slow, feet together - fast , and by her second day on the slopes she was making turns.

Personally, I don't like all the other "aids" very much; leashes, H-bars etc. seem to give the kids a false sense of security while encouraging bad posture. I'm not saying they never work, but there's so many kids out there who are literally just hanging in..

Yes, I've been teaching for about 13 years. I am AASI level II certified and PSIA level I. The tip lock that you saw in the picture is called a "Try-Ski". There are many different devices out there that pretty much do the same thing. "Edgie-Wedgies" are kind of the same, but it's just a short rubber cord that screws on to the tips of the skiis. There is a little more freedom with the edgie-wedgies than there is with the try-ski. The thing that looks like a harness on her is actually a vest type harness with a little handle on the back. It is for picking up a small child to get them on the chair lift safetly, but it has many other "pick-me-up!" uses as well. (We used it when my daughter was first starting on her pony... it was just nice to have a little handle to hold on to her!) All the teaching aids I've seen are great when USED PROPERLY! Many aren't.... the harness type thing that I'm sure you've seen in use is not designed for speed control as most often used. That does put a child in a bad position. It should be used to get a child to turn. All the teaching aids I use (except the try-ski) came from a website called www.kid-ski.com. And yes, the teaching aids can become a "crutch." That is why another instructor, and friend of mine, will be skiing with Clara on Sunday. She is just getting way to comfortable with mom doing all the work! She likes it when I'm holding on to her and won't have it any other way! She's never even had any crashes yet.... mom just can't let go! :) Anyway, check out that website and feel free to email me if you have any other questions.

Kathy

Originally posted by Miguel

Hi...my name's Miguel and I'm a Carvaholic.

I'm feeling like I'm at an Alchoholics Anonymous meeting!

Actually...I admit to trying teli skiing last year....but only once...and I'm feeling darned guilty about it.:( Glad that's off my chest!

I have to confess to splitting my season up this year to about 50/50 alpine snowboard carving/tele skiing. So which rehab program do I go to for these habits? None I hope. Actually I do not plan give up either especially now when Sean Martin (Donek) is turning out such a great product for both. OK Fin, you too.