Note to New Members ×

Virus WorldCup UPM 186 GS

queequeg

Thinking about selling my Virus WorldCup UPM 186 GS. (Not 100% on selling) but as much as it pains me: I am trying to simplify my life and pare down my possessions to reduce clutter and such. Three alpine snowboards is maybe one more than I need ...  and as BAD-ASS as this deck is, I have little opportunity to ride it (since it does require some wide-open spaces to really enjoy).

TL;DR — STIFF, DAMP, LONG SCR deck for high-speed carving fun. Super fun midweek board for a confident carver that likes to go fast and has a bit of heft.

Currently it is mounted with a 5mm BoilerPlate — I'd rather sell them together since I do not have any other UPM decks. $700 seems like as good a guess as any. (buyer pays shipping). Boilerplate comes with the special boilerplate canting disks: 3 & 6 Degrees. It has standard inserts for plateless mounting (in addition to the UPM pattern), and it does carve very well without the plate.

This board is THE TOOL for fast carving on long-wide cruisers like Big Burn at Snowmass, and Thunderbowl at Highlands. This is not a board to step into if you're thinking about trying a longer deck for the first time: it rewards confident, solid inputs with a fantastic ride, but it will punish you if you are uncertain or lack confidence. It has a very long sidecut, and is unambiguously stiff, so it probably helps to have some meat on your bones (I weigh around 200 lbs and ride somewhat aggressively). Nonetheless, it will coil up into a tight-ish turn if you throw it high up on edge quickly and put some weight into it--not Madd 158 tight (err ... obvs!) but it is reasonably agile given its primary characteristics. 

It's primary characteristics are fast, smooth, and damp. It can be ridden with or without a plate. I rode it without one the first few years I had it, and then tried it with a 5mm boilerplate last year. Riding it with a plate allows you to go even faster and you can experience some tremendous g-force with one, but low speed feel will suffer (predictably) ... but this board is not for going slow. Also: edge hold on this board is outrageously good, definitely the best edgehold of any board I have ever ridden bar-none.

Overall it is in great shape but it has a few notable battle-scars:

– got hit by a straightlining skier and suffered a small delam on the nose. There is a slight bump on the topsheet where this was repaired. 

— decorative metal tail protection, came off awhile ago and I have not bothered to replace it since metal is such a PITA to bond.

Base and edges are in fantastic shape ... I keep it well waxed and razor sharp.

Note: I'm not online here very often so it may take me a bit to respond. Feel free to PM.

One of these:

http://forums.bomberonline.com/index.php?/topic/29234-virus-worldcup-upm-gs-board/

Actual board ridden here from 0:58 to 2:09 (plateless):

Also seen here: 

469466_4007047651065_408249852_o.jpg

And here:

194924_4007047491061_1121728515_o.jpg

With plate mounted (note tail-protector is no-more):

286480_4750662880981_501593029_o.jpg

Edited by queequeg

Tempting, but already blew my board budget for the year.  Love me some Virus, definatly not for the tame or wimpy, but ohhhhsooo worth it.  I hope you come to your senses before its too late...

mario

Edited by big mario

Hah! While posting I was thinking, "Big Mario would probably be right at home on this thing". I really don't want to get rid of it but I am trying to be sensible about not owning things that I only use 2 days a year :P ... but those two days ...

Tempting, but already blew my board budget for the year.  Love me some Virus, definatly not for the tame or wimpy, but ohhhhsooo worth it.  I hope you come to your senses before its too late...

mario

Virus doesn't publish specs for their boards. The sidecut is very long, this board was built for a particularly heavy rider. There is a bit of taper but otherwise it is quite straight. Barely any nose (in both length and lift). Judging by the decks in your profile I would assume you might not feel right at home on this board.

Specs? What are the waist nose tail widths and what is the approximate side cut? When was this made?

Thanks!

L-

Edited by queequeg

• 4 weeks later...

Bump. If there are no takers before ATC, I will likely bring it to Aspen for people to try, and to take it on a few runs on big burn since it's such fun there - hopefully riding it won't convince me not to sell it!!

Edited by queequeg

• 3 weeks later...