Note to New Members ×

RACE DISCS?

andiss

Stupid question - but are the burton 3 hole race discs compatible with other bindings - like early 2000 rossignol and etc?

Or am i better off drilling holes in the disc?

In fact most center mounting disks are NOT compatible between brands.  Drilling ANY brands center disks is a risky move. A general statement.  Avoid this big time.   Better to buy correct gear than modify old gear.  

If you are an experienced rider / fabricator have at it, at your own risk!!   I seem to recall you are just getting into alpine?   

Drilling ANY brands center disks is a risky move. A general statement.  Avoid this big time.  

+1 on that, Bryan. I did a VERY slight modification to a Burton binding disk (softies) and KAPOW! It vaporized at - for me, at least - high speed. To this day, I consider myself lucky to have all my knee ligaments intact.

Ya, i'm just getting into Alpine - I did some research on the burton step in race plates and it seems like the first generation models was a bit unreliable - that they would open mid turn? 

This leaves me with two options - cross my fingers and hope they don't open or get a newer more reliable binding but then I need to find a one that can hold a 3 hole plate?

These are the bindings (not actual pic just stole from web):

$_3.JPG

Edited by andiss

So you want to mount some older Rossignol bindings on a Burton board? And you're thinking of using the disks that come with the Burton bindings to do it? As other have said, that's not likely to work. There may be a way to use the Rossignol disks but you're right to look for alternatives.

3-hole disks for Bombers are available. Cateks often come with both 3 and 4 hole pattern. Possibly Phiokka as well -- their discs usually seem to have both 3 and 4 hole drilling. You could always use Bomber Power Plates with 3-hole disks and bindings of your choice if you don't mind some lift.

A pair of Catek WC or OS1 would not set you back much. For a little more you could get some TD2 or TD3s. After selling the Burtons and Rossignols you may break even dollar-wise, but be way ahead happiness-wise.

Step-in will cost significantly more (due to the need for heels) and increase the complexity and frustration factor (some will disagree about that last judgement). Properly installed and maintained, using Fin-tec heels, it may be safer.