Note to New Members ×

How much Boot-Out is ok?

iLikeSnow

I'm not riding hardboots for long, just over a year amounting to maybe 20 days. I don't know anybody in person to ask, so i have to come here and ask dumb questions, sorry :)

I have a board with a 190mm waist, and to not have anything hang over the edge i had to turn my bindings all the way up to 65° back (70° front).

Now i noticed recommended angles on the SG Snowboards website. For their Full Carve board, for example, they list 45-57 front, 43-54 back.

And i can only wonder: how?  :eek:

I thought i had smaller than average boots, with a size of MP 25.5 (shell 25.5-26.5), but the full boot length is still 287mm. If the bindings where perfectly centered, that would need at least a 51 angle to stay inside the snowboards edge. But the boots stand far back on my bindings, so i have to turn them even further to have the back and cuff of the boot inside.

image for illustration, bindings set at 48 :

JC1H9oP.png

How do you set your bindings? Do i worry too much? Do you just let your boots stick over the edges a bit?

I'm not riding hardboots for long, just over a year amounting to maybe 20 days. I don't know anybody in person to ask, so i have to come here and ask dumb questions, sorry :)

I have a board with a 190mm waist, and to not have anything hang over the edge i had to turn my bindings all the way up to 65° back (70° front).

Now i noticed recommended angles on the SG Snowboards website. For their Full Carve board, for example, they list 45-57 front, 43-54 back.

And i can only wonder: how?  :eek:

I thought i had smaller than average boots, with a size of MP 25.5 (shell 25.5-26.5), but the full boot length is still 287mm. If the bindings where perfectly centered, that would need at least a 51 angle to stay inside the snowboards edge. But the boots stand far back on my bindings, so i have to turn them even further to have the back and cuff of the boot inside.

image for illustration, bindings set at 48

How do you set your bindings? Do i worry too much? Do you just let your boots stick over the edges a bit?

In my opinion, having a little bit of overhang is not an issue for most situations.  Go out and carve, if you feel the loss of edge hold in a turn, you may be booting out.  I have a 18.5 cm board and 26cm foot.  I ride 60/50 and don't have a problem 90% of the time.  You can tip your board over on the floor and that's *roughly* how far over you are going to need to go before boot out is a problem.

Edited by breeseomatic

I recall seeing a video by Sean from Donek where he talks about how much overhang is acceptable based on how you ride. Sorry, can't find it right now!

In general; if you're fairly new and not tipping the board up very high on edge, quite a bit of overhang is acceptable. When you start falling because your boots are hitting the snow and disengaging the edge, then it's time to decrease your overhang. I've seen very accomplished riders with easily visible overhang that have no issues.

Once you're hitting 80-90 degrees between the snow and your board when using UPZ boots, don't forget to check the overhang of the upper buckles on your front foot. Those were the limiting factor for me.

The higher your boots are off the board, the more overhang you can get away with... I typically have about 3/8" of overhang if I clip my rear boot in and measure where the spot on the toe bail overhangs, and it doesn't seem to impact me pulling off something like this (photo credit: *Ace* - full-res shot that I created my avatar from):  

https://plus.google.com/photos/116120539418978604001/albums/6117332855632902289/6117383058835538338?pid=6117383058835538338&oid=116120539418978604001

Edited by Mike T