Note to New Members ×

Old rider seeks new fun...

Guest Platu

Hello All-

As you can tell, I am a newbie to this site. I have been riding for many years and over the past few, the falls in the parks and pipes have reminded me of my age.

A couple of years ago, I started to carve with my Burton Custom 169. I have step the Burton Step-ins and Burton Boots.

I am considering a carving board and have a few questions:

1) I am 6'1 and 220 lbs. What is a good size for me to ride?

2) Are there any boards that are more carvey than the Custom that I currently ride which can be used with the Burton step in system?

3) Who are good manufacturers of boards and such. I cannot believe how hard it is to find these things. I live in Michigan.

4)Does anyone in the state or area demo these boards.

5) Anything else I should know or consider?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike...

I'm in a similar situation as you (though you probably have more general boarding experience)...I just got into boarding and have been going almost every night...but I'd never heard of carving before a couple weeks ago, and now I'm hooked!

I'm 42, and your size (6'0", 220lbs.). Drop me an email via the board and we can exchange notes, since I'm searching for some carving gear too.

Regards,

Scott in West Virginia

Originally posted by Platu

Hello All-

1) I am 6'1 and 220 lbs. What is a good size for me to ride?

For a first alpine/hardboots board, I wouldn't go below 170, and maybe look at boards up to 175. If you are already good at carving your present gear, you might do well with a freecarve board. Check out the Donek 171fcII or Prior WCR171 (a bit stiffer I think). Otherwise, all-mountain carving boards are a great intro to the sport. Look at the Donek Axis or Prior 4WD.

2) Are there any boards that are more carvey than the Custom that I currently ride which can be used with the Burton step in system?

I assume you mean softboots. Yes, check out a boardercross board like the Volkl Cross (not made anymore, look for used), F2 Speedcross 165 (longest one, sold here)

3) Who are good manufacturers of boards and such. I cannot believe how hard it is to find these things. I live in Michigan.

Donek, Prior, Coiler (I didn't mention Coiler above because they have about a 10 month wait list), F2, Volkl, Nidecker, Hot...

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

Yes, check out a boardercross board like the Volkl Cross (not made anymore, look for used), F2 Speedcross 165 (longest one, sold here)

If you don't have the 4 hole disks you might look at an old Burton Fusion as well, they sometimes crop up on ebay. Alternatively, you can buy hardboots and bindings and mount them on your custom, then once you've adjusted get a more alpine-y board. If you're already carving your custom well your next step is probably the hardboots anyways...

depending on you foot size there are some great boards out there

the never summer legacy is one of my favorites along with the Donek Wide both of those boards are wide models so if you have big feet they will be good if not look at narrower stuff

many people here love the tankers but for me when I ride softies I go in the bumps and a 200 is a little much I have not been on any of the shorter tankers