Note to New Members ×

First Day on Hard boots!

Dkskioh

Ok finished the day and had a blast. Still trouble with heal side carves. Running 50/46 goofy. Board is an old Sims all mountain 70. 167 cm with 21 waist. I think I may be too far forward on the board. Toe side great carves! Heal side the board dives in too quick and breaks loose. I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oops I fat fingered the send button... I had better luck by shifting weight back to enter the turns but it still wanted to come around too quick. (Glad I had a helmet on! LOL). Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Square up your shoulders more with the tip of the board. You're standing too sideways, especially on heelside turns. 

Try pointing your rear knee forward in line with the board. For heelside turns press it inwards over the heelside edge, and for toeside turns press it outwards. I've found that this usually helps people get into the proper stance and initiate good turns.

You're off to a good start though. Just work on technique and practice. You'll get it in no time.

--mark

Like others said, dont look downhill, look where you are going, your shoulders will follow your head, this will help you keep the right posture. Try not to initiate the board rotation with your back foot like on a freestyle board, put pressure on the edge and let the board sidecut do the work. You will build up more speed this way so if your dont feel in control, you can practice heel side carve one at a time. On an easy, un crouded trail, start at low speed on the left side keep your nose pointed downhill, resist the urge to to push the back of the board with your back foot to make it turn, put pressure on the edge and let the board carve across the trail, when you reach the right side, break like you do in freestyle. Keep practicing feeling the carve heelside one at a time... Head and shoulder rotation is key!

Hey Dave,

I ride at Mad River as well. There's a handful of hard booters at Mad River. Alas, our season's done though.

Let's ride next season. I  ride pretty much every day from slightly before Christmas through New Years, then every Saturday and Sunday through January and February. I also take a day or two off during the week to ride when no one's around, so you'll see me riding often. I ride from when the lifts spin until it gets too crowded. On weekdays that's until the buses come late in the afternoon, and about 2pm on weekends.  It gets too crowded and dangerous after.

I ride with a bright green/yellow jacket, so I'll be easy to spot.

Khanh