Note to New Members ×

Burton Alp vs. Burton Speed - help!!

Jutta

Help!

Am riding a 1998/99 Burton Alp 150cm, but seem to have lost ability to carve. Am 5"4", 120lbs and did fine last year (my 3rd year on the board, was a used rental). This year however, as soon as I get on a steeper run I'm skidding all over the place. Frustrating beyond belief:(. Maybe the board is just shot? Edges are fine.

Am eyeing a new Burton Speed 150cm, anyone have any input for me?:confused:

Thanks,

Jutta

I've got an Alp and a Speed also. The Speed is stiffer and much more stable at high speeds. Have you considered going a little longer? I've got the 156 Speed and weigh 130-140 and it seems perfect. The 156 is sized a little wider then the the Alp, 21cm vs 18-19cm on the Alp(cant remember which) so you can go fairly low angles with out boot overhang.

I use to have an asym Burton Alp 157 from around 1995. I also had problems keeping a carve on that board in steeper runs. Last season I sold the Alp and got an Oxygen Proton 149. On the Oxygen, I was immediately able to hold a carve better on steeper runs/higher speed.

I would recommend getting the Oxygen Proton 149 instead of the Burton Speed 150 because you can probably get the Oxygen on EBay for around $50. I think the Burton Speeds have been going for around $100. The Oxygen has a waist width of 19.5 cm. I've seen the longer Oxygen Protons sell for over $150.

I've never ridden a Burton Speed, but I would doubt that it's a better board than the Oxygen. A friend of mine is looking to get a Speed 158, so I might get a chance to ride a Speed sometime this season.