Note to New Members ×

Forward/Backward stance adjustment

ecshredder

I am a softbooter but I only carve these days. Anyway I've tried different variations, I have been wondering about you guys' experience in board feel with the following stance adjustments.

1) Both feet wider than center. Feels stable but rough on the quads and the board bends less. Too wide for a short guy like me when riding a 163-ish board.

2) Front foot forward of center, back centered. Easy to initiate turns. I have ridden this way alot when I'm riding a board that feels too soft for me like my old Nidecker Ultralight. That thing had a long flipped up/flimsy nose.

3) Front foot centered, back rear of center. Don't think I've tried it.

4) Front foot centered, back forward of center. This is what I'm doing right now on a Kessler Ride 163 ('m 5'8/150).

5) Both feet forward of center. Have also tried this on my current board. Feels pretty good but can't explain why.

Anybody ever tried to reconcile the physics of how these adjustments change the board performance? 

I've always looked at it as this-  It doesn't matter where you put your feet individually, the halfway point between the centers of the bolt circles on your bindings and where it is in relation to the center of the sidecut arc is what determines if your stance is forward or aft of center.  I mean, if your front foot is on "center," (center of what?), and your rear foot is forward of "center," (again, center of what?), then your overall stance is forward of where you're thinking center is.

As to how this relates to how the board behaves, generally speaking, moving your front foot forward will quicken turn in as opposed to if it were moved rearward.  I generally try to center my stance over the insert pattern because they're placed in accordance with the center of the sidecut and generally speaking, you want to be a small bit rearward of the center of the sidecut for performance applications.

Find a stance width that works for you.  Inseam length * 0.607 = stance width works well for me, but others have found otherwise.  Once you find a stance width, move it forward and back to find where the board behaves to your liking.  I've found that on softer days, I can be more aggressive with it a bit to the rear because I'm not driving the nose into the snow quite as much, and on hard days, moving it forward makes the board more snappy, but no matter where I put it, my stance width always stays the same.

Edited by That Guy...

Here is a good article to read by Beckmann AG. He has been helping me on my stance and performance, and will likely chime in at some point too :)

You will have to click on the softboot snowboard link towards the top of the page to navigate the different pages

http://beckmannag.com/softboot-snowboard/setup-guidelines

Overall, yes, the front foot placement does have a lot to do with how quickly the board reacts/ edge initiation. Last time I was out, I moved my bindings back because the snow was really soft, I went "over the handlebars" a couple times.

I would be interested to hear if the "Gilmour Bias" has any effect on having the back foot forwards or backwards and toe edge initiation/ control. anyone tried?

I don't know what you mean by having one foot or the other "centred". Most of us have a preferred stance width. You can experiment with how wide your stance is. You can also play with where your stance is along the board. Manufacturers place the insert packs where they think they work best and I have always just followed that guideline. In other words, my front binding is just as far away from the centre of the front insert pack as my rear binding is from the centre of the rear insert pack.

I don't know what you mean by having one foot or the other "centred". Most of us have a preferred stance width. You can experiment with how wide your stance is. You can also play with where your stance is along the board. Manufacturers place the insert packs where they think they work best and I have always just followed that guideline. In other words, my front binding is just as far away from the centre of the front insert pack as my rear binding is from the centre of the rear insert pack.

By one foot being centered I meant binding mounted on the middle row of holes.