Note to New Members ×

Tuning Components/Kit

Chubz

Folks

I have been doing some research via internet and face to face and looking for input on putting together a reasonable(<$100 for now) tuning kit. Whether it be a pre-made kit of ala carte kit. some may openly chortle at $100, but one baby in the house and another one on the way (Just found out tonight) keeps funds strapped,damn college funds.

I'm basically looking for the files, stones, any other needed gadgets and input of various waxes. I read another post last night for racewax.com and he had more stuff than I could shake a stick at. Also input on the file holder devices compared to doing it by free hand. I think I'd feel more comfortable with the device.

I will continue to do my research but as I have found with this website, folks are always willing to offer their input and that input I value. Hearing real life experience with equipment rather than reading a website is much more effective for me.

Thanks

Greg

Ps I'm set on an iron but input for that would be welcomed.

Bakoda makes a nice kit called "Essential Tuning Kit".

It has everything you need:

- Wax

- Scraper

- Basic tool

- Snowboard hardware

- Sharpening tool and files (along w/ cleaning brush)

- Waxing Iron

- All comes in a nice bag!

etc...

I have no clue about the price though...

absolutely no reason why anyone would chortle at $100. Thats a LOT!

well...wax gets expensive, but..

Id think you could get something workable for half that to be honest!

check out tognar and reliable racing. they both have starter kits that would get you by

Thanks for the basic list of items I would be looking for. I guess I set the limit at $100 b/c I saw a couple kits on line for $225 or so, which I though was ridiculous.

Additionally, I am looking for specific types, styles and recommneded manufacturers of those items listed above b/c so many are listed. I will check out Bakoda and see what that kit is like.

Thanks again

my big expense was for a WAX iron but you could go with a clothes iron just make sure you keep the temp down (epoxy a stopper on it to make sure that you don't turn it up to high. I bought a 1lbs block of wax from 1 Ball Jay for $30 which should last me a year or so (maybe more if next season turn out to be as slow as this one) Brushes can be had at a hardware store for 10% of the cost at a ski/snowboard store (not kidding the same generic brush was 220Yen at the hardware store and 2200Yen at the ski store). I bought some buffing pads at the grocery for again pennies (or in my case Yennies) of ski store. Same for a Cork block at the hardware store (are you seeing a trend here)

Scrapers...well those will cost you and you have to go with actually snowboard specific ones (though I did fine an 18 inch metal scrapper I haven't used it yet...and so will a couple of good files those can and should be bought a hardware store, they wil run fron $10-$20...

Little stuff

Ptex candles???I can't remember the cost, I last bought one about 10 years ago...

I bought a bunch of clamps in various sizes and some snowboard/ski bench clamp/stands off Ebay...

I keep a couple of different epoxy's, a wrench/driver for every fastener on my board, and spare screws in my tool box

other than my iron and the stand/clamps I think I spent about 6000Yen ($60) . Of course just about the time I finished all this my wife gave me a DaKine tuning kit which will travel to mountains with me unlike my heavy tool box

I'm looking at putting together some tools to let me do edges. If I go from Reliable Racing's catalog, I get:

RRS File Card $7

DMT 4in. Diamond Stone $20

Bludan Standard 8" File $6

Swix Side Edge 89 degree File Guide $30

Base BEAST .75 degree File Guide $20

Gummi Stone $6

This should let me do a good job, although none of the tools are "pro" quality. But I'm sorely tempted to just get a combination tool like the Swix Ergo Plus, which is about $30 and available locally (thus saving me another $US19 in shipping).

Therefore it's an extra $80 to put together the swanky kit - is it worth it? The only edge work I've ever done is to use a crappy 90 degree guide I've got to file the side edge, so I've got a learning curve on top of the expense.