Note to New Members ×

Recommendations where to ride near Olympia WA?

bobble

i'm going to be in Olympia WA from Jan 1-4. 

i know nothing about the area. my sister-in-law said the snow conditions are not that great and probably not worth lugging my board. is this true? 

regardless, anyone have recommendations for places to ride that are close to Olympia?

thanks.

Crystal Mountain near Mt. Rainier, White Pass on Hwy 12 to Yakima, or Snoqualmie Pass on I-90.  Probably any of these is at least a 90 minute drive from Olympia.  Crystal is a good place and they claim to be 100% open.  Conditions in the PNW have been bleak, but it looks like they got some recent dumps.  It may not be a pow paradise, but depending on the breaks groomers are probably ok.  Whether or not it is worth it depends on what your choices are back home.

I went to Crystal. There was fog and sun. More light at the top of mountain.

Snow was soft. There were rocks and stuff poking through the snow. It was really warm. I forgot my fleece but didn't need it.

I was humbled by the mountain. I went up the Chinook lift and took the Rainier lift to the top. Thought I would go down the blue runs just down from the chair. I think it was Green Valley. Nope. Decided to take the Lucky shot and Gandy - had straight liners. I kept looking over my shoulder. As I descended the fog would get worse.

Just rode Chinook and Forest Queen.