Note to New Members ×

TD2 Standard and Step-ins

Guest utahsnowrider

Guest utahsnowrider

I know that the advantage of having step-ins are being able to step in and off the snowboard with ease.

Are there any reasons why I should go with standard TD2 bindings?

Reid

Guest lonecarver

Simplicity! Simplicity! Simplicity! I'm over 200lbs, very aggressive rider and have crashed more times than I care to remember. Never had bail release from my TD standard. Most of the "old geezers" like the SI, something about not being able to bend over. Burton race plates, another story didn't take much for them to release. POS!

Guest utahsnowrider

Sold my Burton Race bindings because they kept on bailing out. Wasn't too impressed with those bindings. That is why I am looking into TD2s.

I am a pretty aggressive rider. Probably much safer for me to go with the standard TD2s than gambling on step-ins.

Thanks for your response.

intec is way stiffer

I have blown out of TDs and Cateks

intec I have not except once but I was not in anyway and I was in a rush to get riding

just make sure you are in and go

I have bent bails as well

I have not had any issues with intec and I have put in maybe 150 days on them

bails suck, I for one will not go back

This should be a sticky because it's talked about so much here.

I started out on TD1 step-ins. Then, I switched to TD1 standard bails. I immediately regretted it because the standard bails were such a pain to get into at the top of the hill. The floppy, spring loaded rear bail is a total PITA. I have not tried standard TD2s but if they have the same rear bail as the TD1s, you will be frustrated. It takes me 4-5 attempts before they engage my heel properly.

Then I bought some Catek standards to go with my new board. They were much better. The rear bail is tight and stays were you place it. It's much easier to hook into.

Since I had a heel pin failure on my Intec heels last season, I am going to stick with standard bails. On the TD1s, I'm going to make a modification to make the floppy bails stay put.

For ride quality, the Intecs are marginally stiffer. I use soft boots and I don't race so I don't notice the difference as much as some of the guys on this board.

Guest ethanpt

what happened with the pin failure?? I am would like to switch to step ins....I wonder what is more likely to happen- pop out of bails or break a step in....seems like a bunch of people have come out of bails??

Guest utahsnowrider

I did not think step ins would be stiffer than standards. After reading responses, it kind of makes sense that step ins would be stiffer and that the bail on both ends of the standard bindings which would allow some flexing. I need to order my TD2 soon and can't seem to make up my mind!

I am thinking maybe since TD2s are known to be quite stiff, maybe I should go with the standard to allow some flexing.

I have Burton Fires. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge relating to how well Burton Fires work with TD2 stepins and standards?

Love my TD2 step-ins! However, one thing that I, as well as others I'm sure, have noticed is that with heavy/sticky snow, you really need to make sure your heel is cleaned off before stepping in. There is very little space between the heel and the bottom of the receiver and excess snow can prevent a solid pin engagement. Found out once (and ONLY once) the hard way. Only one pin engaged and luckily I discovered that something just "didn't feel quite right" before I started riding hard. I have been vigilant about checking my heels under those conditions before clicking in. It's rarely a problem and that may have to do with typical Utah snow conditions. There has been a thread that addressed this a bit in the past - can't remember what it was called though?

Bottom line: Step-ins are great! After nearly a dozen seasons riding bails, I think I've finally seen the light!

Guest utahsnowrider

Thanks, Kirk. I do recall seeing a thread addressing this issue, but could not find the thread after doing several searches.

Maybe step-ins should be fine as long as the dampeners allow some flexing.

Hope to get more feedback from you guys on this matter.

Chances are very high you will try both systems anyway!

Simple reason, most of us are on the search for the best possible ride, so it will probably be

only a question of time until you “have” to try the other side…

I think there is no huge difference in what you try first… you’ll probably end up trying both

systems sooner or later anyway.

I recommend keeping whatever you get first. You might go back!

Ray

Ethan:

Regarding the pin failure - I unclipped from my rear binding to get on a lift and found that one of the pins on my heel had sheared off. I don't know if it happened during my run or right then, when I unclipped. I didn't have any tools or an extra heel with me so that ended my day.

After that incident, I learned to carry an extra heel assembly whenever I went on a multi-day trip. I think whoever makes those heels should upgrade the pins to something stronger.

There's another post here of a guy who had the same thing happen but it ended badly for him. He crashed and hurt himself. That being said, there are also guys who have come out of standard bails too.

Henry

With all the concerns about the plastic heel units, I wonder if Bomber and Co. have looked into building their own heels. I expect they'd have a tough time beating that $50 price and as the plastic ones work fine for most...

The only heel failure I've experienced was due to operator idiocy - check those screws once in a while!

I believe the stepins are actually safer for the following reasons. I can see a plastic boot having the capacity to flex/distort enough to release from a standard bail. (it's happened to me) I don't see that happening with the stepin mechanism. In fact, if the toe did release from a front bail on the stepins, I believe your heel would remain attached therby preventing a catastophic accident. It may even be possible to be "temporarily" held in with only one pin. I know I have made several turns with only one pin engaged with out releasing. That was pilot error for not checking for full engagement before taking off...but it did not release. (very disconcerting!) I almost look at the stepin pins as wearing a reserve parachute when skydiving. On two of my three boards I have TD Standards on the front and stepins on the rear. I've never (knock on wood) released prematurely from either. I will not ride with any other bindings with the possible exception of Cateks of course.