Note to New Members ×

Pureboarding boards vs other all mountain boards

snowboardfast

Has any one ridden the Pureboarding boards and how would they compare to other all mountain boards? I am somewhat interested in getting one. I know Bomber sells them and Michelle did tell me that they are stiffer than Donek ax and prior and of course wider. I did ride a two many years ago but not long enough to decide.

Thank you for the info. 24.5 waist seems way too wide for my 26 mondo boots as I have lots of extra room on a 20cm waist race board and a 21.5 all mountain board.

Then your stance is not what Jörg of Pure Boarding would recommend. The PB style demands a large spread between front and rear angles, ideally upwards of 10°, with rear angles decidedly below 40°. If you have room to spare on a 20 cm board, you must be running at least 60° on both feet, correct?

Thank you for all of the information! I am not riding my current all mountain boards with the stance recommended by Jorg. I am interested in trying this. I am riding angles of 50 on the front and 45 on the rear foot on the all mountain boards I ride now. Which board should I consider? I am not a beginner but not an absolute expert.

I have a Bastard as my only board, the Two I have never tried (Bastard and Black Diamond are identical except for the top sheet). From what I hear, the Two is a bit less carving-oriented, something more of a relaxed AM ride. The Bastard is also a very capable AM board, however.

As dingbat already mentioned, the boards like to be ridden in the PB style, meaning a rather active technique with decided rotation. The angle spread between front and rear bindings makes for a very comfortable stance (unfortunately, at MP 29 I myself can't go below 40° even on the Bastard).

If you want to try it, set the rear binding at around 30°. Then set the front 10° higher and work up from there to find the best position.

If you are seriously interested in a PB board, I would suggested calling Jörg. He is a very nice and extremely knowledgeable guy.

I do have a board that I can try the pureboarding stance on . It is a f2 breezer and it is a 158 and I think the waist width is 24 cm? I did setup the rear binding at 30 dergrees and can see why the width has to be more for that stance. It will work for me to try this and then if I like the stance I could consider buying a pureboarding board. Getting the pureboarding board won't be a problem as Bomber can get them. I did try a two a number of years ago at Loveland but I only did 2 runs on it as it was a frigid day. I did not have any trouble riding it. I think it was a 164?

In order to ride the pureboarding style, you need to have a very soft boot for your back foot. Jorg is riding with 2 different boots, 1 stiffer in front and 1 very soft on the back.

Also, Jorg recommends bails bindings to have more lateral flex.

I did try a Two some years ago but I did not spend enough time to adjust the bindings to my taste, so I find that 25cm width way too much for me.

I ride mondo 26.5 boots and now UPZ 26.5 so I can achieve low angle on a 23cm board (last year SG Cult, this year Nidecker Proto).

I will give this a try as I have the boots and correct bindings. Will try on the f2 as the waist is 23 and it will work. If I like it I might buy a pureboarding board? It will be fun to try a softer boot on the rear foot as I have not done this before.Deluxe lemans in the rear and Susuka in the front. I assume both bindings flat?

Blue B do you find that the lower backfoot angle gives better leverage and balance for carving and all around riding on these types of boards? I am going to try this on the f2 breezer which has close to a 23cm waist.

It allows better rotational freedom, making sliding turns easier. You need to focus a bit more in carving mode. Also, with my 26.5 boots, it allows laverage over edge at least on the rear boot, even if I had under hang in front, on wider boards.

I have no cant in front, but 3 mm toe lift. In the rear I have 3 to 6 mm heel lift with inward cant. I can make it work without cant too. I use super soft bindings.

My boots are Dalbello Carves ski boots. I unlock at least the rear one to walk mode.

It allows better rotational freedom, making sliding turns easier. You need to focus a bit more in carving mode. .....

Which is exactly why the Pureboards are as wide as they are. As mentioned by Aracan, rotation is a fundamental of the Pure Boarding style. Instead of using counter rotation to slide turns, Pure Boarding uses rotation to, among other things, create a counter-steering motion starting the transition from one turn to the next.

Edited by dingbat