Note to New Members ×

Resorts for carving in Japan

purpletiesto

I have been to Hokkaido. You do not really go there for the carving but I had two boards with one of wich was for carving. :D

It really depends on the snow conditions at that particular resort at that time since theres so much snow it has a tendency to get really soft for carving.

Anyways

Kamui Links: Small resort 500 m vertical? 10 slopes maybe? the main one is wide and probably offers very good carving the snow was too soft though. Difficult to get a 185 board to fit in the gondola. :biggthump

Pippu: Best carving conditions when i was there, small hill, 300 m vertical? Maybe 5 slopes, the steepest with perfect steepness to my taste.

Furano: Big resort with Hokkaido standards. Kind of flat and when its steep its not very wide but fun anyways.

Asahidake: No carving, Very fun off piste when conditions is right. One ropeway and two transports from the top at each side, very flat at the end.

Kiroro: In the same league as Furano. Had the best day here with much fresh snow. :D

Kokusai: Small resort, 5 slopes? We had bad weather. Fun for one day maybe.

Sapporo Teine: Steepest on Hokkaido? VERY crowded with schoolchildren. I can see one of the slopes would be fun for carving but it was not groomed when we were there.

Niseko: Biggest on Hokkaido, could probably offer good carving if the snow is hard enough. Very touristy if you previously been to Asahidake or Pippu. :D

There are more places on Hokkaido but i have only been to these.

That thread I remembered me too.

Check http://www.snowjapan.com/ also. They list hundreds of ski resorts in Japan. Further you can find some reviews.

Check-out any informations about how-to-go-skiing. Weekend-packages by bus are popular in Japan. Indivdual travel by car expensive.

Snow and slope can be for long time soft. So to ride a soft Kessler 185 wouln't be the best choice maybe. Take a stiffer one.

Many resorts are on Australian hands.

For to buy snowboard and ski gear visit: Ochanomizu district in Tokyo

Cheers Dan, I checked that thread, some useful info for sure!

Matic, cheers thanks for that, seems like you know the area well.

Miltie, I really can't wait! Great thanks for your help! At this stage I'm tossing up on whether to visit Hakuba + Shiga Kogen + Nozawa, or just 1 of these or a mix of them. I'm kind of leaning toward just Hakuba at this stage.

• 2 weeks later...

Purple,

Sorry for the long delay in my post.

Spent a total of 7 years working in Nagoya. Most of winters spent in Gifu and Nagano. Took a few trips to Hokkaido and loved it.

If you are looking for the ultimate snow experience, go to Hokkaido. If you want to see more of mainland Japan and cultural things, head for Nagano.

Go take a look at Snowjapan.com as Snowmatic mentions if you have not done so already. I used that site quite a bit when I lived there. Lots of useful info on resorts and where to stay. The forum is a good resource.

Resorts in Nagano Prefecture:

You mentioned Shiga kogen – Never been there but only heard great things about that mountain and that there is a lot of variety in terrain. Many different resorts to choose. You probably can’t go wrong.

Nozawa – Never made it there but heard great things – especially if there is fresh powder. Also heard it is a cool place for after-ski. Should be lots of info on Snowjapan.com.

Hakuba 47 – Been there for races in the spring. Nothing fancy but mid-mountain has nice pitch for carving. Connected to Hakuba Goryu resort. You can stay near Goryu and ride Goryu lifts up to 47. I believe you can buy a pass that covers both mountains.

Happo One – Never rode there but many pensions at base area. Close to Hakuba 47. Heard many good things about this resort.

Hakuba Cortina – Older and smaller destination resort – Featured in many Japanese carving DVDs. Mountain is OK with lower half very carvable. I was there in the spring with my family and had a lot of fun.

Kashiyamari – Many pensions at lower mountain with easy access to lower lifts. They used to run race training every weekend on the top mountain. Conditions on the top mountain were much better than lower mountain. They have night riding which rare for Japan. Getting back down to the lower mountain at night is a little gnarly if you are on a 185 and a plate (lots of cat tracks and traverses).

Nomugitoge – Hard to get to – total Mom and Pop resort. Very few places to stay nearby. Many race teams (mainly ski) use for training on weekends. Nice pitch for carving almost all the way down. One of my favorite mountains in Japan. No fluff – just riding.

Suwa City area (easy access to Tokyo area) – Royal Hill, Echo Valley and Chateraise

Royal Hill – Many pensions and hotels near base. Mountain not the best but many carvers (from Tokyo) on the weekends. Can get crowded on weekends with bus tours and can be icy on lower mountain. Upper mountain is nice for carving.

Echo Valley – Close to Royal Hill with very few places to stay (stay by Royal Hill). Many carvers on weekends and used for many Japanese videos. Upper mountain is perfect for carving.

Chateraise is the closest to Tokyo. Never been there so can’t comment on conditions. They host the Alpine On Snow Demo there and one of their instructors is long time alpine rider. They have alpine boards for rent/demo according to their website.

North of Nagano – Sugadaira – Never been there but heard some race teams train out of there.

Gifu Prefecture:

If you make it over to Gifu Prefecture, I recommend Ciao Ontake and Dynaland.

Ciao Ontake is a bit difficult to get to (bus is available from train station) and only few places to stay nearby. Many carvers here on weekends – especially spring time.

Dynaland is closer to Nagoya and fairly easy to access. Mountain has many carvable pitches and multiple places to stay nearby. The SG Japan folks are based out of Dynaland. Takasu Snowpark is next door and is also good for carving. This was my home mountain and the SG folks and Burton Snowboard School folks were really good to me – nice people.

Shopping for Gear in Tokyo: Link Snowmatic provided is spot on. This area is also known as Jimbocho. Head to a shop called Viento which has a specific hard boot area and hard booting staff. Their alpine gear is on the 4th or 5th floor. One of the Managers rides for F2 and speaks a little English. They carry a lot of Japanese brands such as BC Stream, Moss and Ogasaka that you will not see elsewhere.

Hope this helps! Tom

If You are capable to join, go to Asahikawa (Hokkaido) February 28. and March 1. upcomming season!

After a half dozen of never ending Years, PAR snowboard Worldcup turn to Japan again with two races.

It's always fun to join events like that. You will be closer to countless good hardbooters then ever You can on other places.

See FIS race calendar!

• 4 months later...