Note to New Members ×

New Zeland has snow !

lowrider

You guys can't keep the news for your own pleasure. I know your open and got a big dump of snow. Please report back with details on your opening season. Here we call them resorts. Reporters down under call them snow fields. Where the hell did that term come from ???

Really bad season. A lot of main commercial resorts (not sure NZ ski fields deserve such term) had to delay opening. Mt Hutt received 20cm snow in 2 weeks, lots of rocks, sent two of my boards for repair and base grind. Some Australian resorts got 2m of snow this week. This is because some Strayan resorts such as Thredbo rely on northerlies for snow (I think) while all NZ snow fields rely on southerlies, and in June this year NZ had warm northerlies mostly. Methven has been surprisingly warm which pleased farmers but not skiers. Temperature is cold so resorts have been doing hard out making snow but not enough to cover rocks even on main groomed trails. Eventually things will pick up, say couple of weeks, but weather forecast doesn't look good. Bad season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalke9ubyqu5.jpg

Edited by leeho730

Snowfall in varying amounts to quite a few fields in the last few days. A significant driver to them opening is school holidays start for next 2 weeks as I write this (Friday evening here). June was significantly warmer than usual across the whole country, with the snow dump in the last 48 hours being the first really substantial blast from the Southern ocean for quite a while. While the temps are normal winter cool at present, if things return to how they were a week or so ago then the snow will melt fast.

My snow time isn't due to start till last week of July after the school holidays have ended plus some more in the middle of August so I keep hoping.

Thanks Bryan!

Pat, unless the plate somehow makes base and edge invincible...

SunSurfer, hopefully high noon express and jumbo t-bar will open soon. Parkland chair isn't that great for carving. Might have to go there in late sep for the instructor course...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk