Note to New Members ×

New Snowboard Myths Video and Article!

Michelle

Did you try them with BTS? I find that significantly changes (and for me improves) how the boot deforms when flexing. (Or maybe they pinched just standing and not while flexing, in which case, never mind..... :) )

Yup. I was an early BTS adopter. In fact, it's my favorite Bomber product. With my feet as wide as they are, it is a common problem even in shoes. they always bust out the sides at the same point. I do wonder if the HSP's have harder plastic or something that makes them deform less when you do the lower buckles.

One thing you could have done is use the boots to mould some foam or something then measure the result. You'd still have to destroy the boot but you'd get a closed measurement.
insert oversize plastic sock similar as used for vacuum-bag moulding footbeds, pour in some fast-set rubber compound, inflate bag, leave to cure.

deflate bag, remove rubber form, admire work and pat self on back. do not dislocate shoulder.

• 1 month later...

What a brilliant idea! Somebody should have done this ages ago.

That said: it seems to me that the lowest centimeter or so (particularly close to the heel will be taken up by varying amounts of footbed making it somewhat less relevant to the foot (more of a concern towards the heel). I know that my footbed is at least 1cm thick towards the heel.

A closed boot measurement like Neil suggested seems like it would be the most accurate measurement possible. You could fill the boots with some plaster/cement and saw them apart to yield individual models of each section's interior space. Then you could dunk each section model into a graduated tub and measure the water level delta to get volume displacement for each individual boot section.

Edited by queequeg