Note to New Members ×

Switzerland resort recommendations in mid May?

kipstar

As a result of work, I need to go to Switzerland in mid May.

While there I will probably pick up a set of UPZ boots, and check the place out, however it would be very nice to also get in a couple of days of riding, I know what Spring conditions are like (I rode Squaw and Mammoth in April/May and NZ in December/Jan) but any snow is better than none. Always ;_)

I have never been to Switzerland and will fly into work in Zurich, and around Lucerne. If I can grab 2 or 3 days on the slopes, at that time of year which resorts are recommended for groomed? Zermatt and Elgenberg are these the only 2 still open?

Any recommended boot shop with UPZ would also be greatly appreciated in Zurich or Lucerne or at one of the resorts, otherwise it seems a trip to the Outlet place is on order.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated including basic stuff like 'you cannot drive to the hotel and must park at XYZ place'. I was just going to rent a car but you know how these costs can all add up when you are a typical dumb tourist.

Thanks for any advice you can share....sadly the swiss carving site is 'no mas'

I'm sure there are people who know better... but Zermatt would be the obvious place as I know it's open in the summer, but check precise openings obviously.

Zermatt is car-free, and it's easy to get to by train from Geneva at least. There will no doubt be other places.

Hi Kipstar

There is 4 places where you can ski on glacier in switzerland.

They are all pretty far from Lucerne and Zurich ( at least 3.5 hours drive)

http://www.bergfex.fr/schweiz/gletscher/ ( map )

Like french glaciers, there is time of the year when they are closed...the season is almost over now ( most resort close next week end), or first week end of may..Might want to check with each resort when they are open ( some reopen in July like les deux alpes in France). Tignes is also to consider ( but even further away)...

I'd suggest spending time seeing sights ( Lucerne is beautiful, and has two buildings by Jean Nouvel, one beeing the incredible congress hall by the lake, and the other beeing a refurbished hotel..)..There is also the incredible thermal center by Peter Zumthor in Vals not too far from where u are: worth a detour..

Nils

thanks for the feedback guys.

So basically it seems only Zermatt and Engelberg are open, and of those Engelberg appears to have a single lift with the gondolas shared with tourists going to look at some snow cave thing at the top of some mountain. I was quite sad to lose the chance to go riding in Japan again due to work in March....so now this is the next best thing before going to NZ in winter.

So Zermatt it is. Meeting up with an old friend (hopefully) at the same time, and if I get a couple of days riding (or not) no problem, as it's a bucket list type destination. Will also spend some time looking around Lucerne, but not really so interested in European history or architecture much, but will nevertheless take it all in; if its a nice place I have enough miles to come back once a year in future (miles to come here are almost the same as going to Japan). But I do understand (and can see from the prices) it is damn expensive compared to Japan. But anyhow, really looking forward to it, and also hopefully lining up a proper boot fit and some new UPZs at the same time....if I can fit in a new board as well....well maybe might be 'justified' :-)

Thanks for all the suggestions once again.