Note to New Members ×

Investigating a Glissade Big Gun or Doughboy Shredder

lordmetroland

I'm looking to possibly expand my riding with something in the 195 cm range. I'm looking for a big mountain board that has good float in powder but will let me rip down groomers. I ride soft boots.

I've been playing around with the idea of a Donek Hazelwood (because I have size 13 boots and the custom width is tantalizing) but hesitating at the pricetag. If I'm being honest, I'm hesitating at the anticipation of my wife's likely reaction to my lack of hesitation at the pricetag. So I figured I should do my due diligence in seeing what's out there in the pre-owned market.

I'm thinking the Glissade Big Gun 195 or Lib Tech Doughboy Shredder are two obvious options. I think the Glissades are wider/burlier, which suits me better. Anyone willing to part with one without breaking the bank? Thanks!

Welcome to Bomber Online.

I think you will find a much higher percentage of "Longboard User" here than most anywhere.

Assuming you have a large foot and run lower angles I might ask if you have looked at the Rad-Air "HeliCat" 187cm ?

I would have suggested the Tanker 200cm but it sounds like your preference is extra wide.

It might be a day or two but you will likely get responces. Again, welcome to bomberonline!!

• 2 weeks later...
I have a mondo 31 (US 14) and had success with my 187 Heli-cat (no longer own it). Stable as all get out.... with that said and me living vicariously through you, if you are going to go long, GO LONG. 200cm Tanker!

After speaking with Lordmetroland. The Tanker 200cm is too narrow. The 187cm Heli Cat may work. So , the field is narrowed to the extra wide longboards. He is a softboot rider, size 13 shoe and low angles.

I am waiting for my new Hazelwood. I broke my 192 tanker and have had a hard time finding a replacment. Talk to Sean at Donek and he can build you want you want just need the money and to wait 3 weeks. I have another week and a half till i get mine and cant wait to see how it rides.

Yop, seems like this is the direction I'm headed as well. I've had two independent sources recommend a RadAir 187 Heli-Cat, a board so rare and elusive that Google can't seem to locate a verifiable image, yet mocks you with a map of the lucky bastards who possess one. It's precisely stuff like this that led to the Occupy movement. Luckily, Donek is local, built to spec, and has a great reputation in this fine community. I'm pretty excited!

OR,

I will trade a Heli Cat 187cm with Catek OS2 FR2 bindings for a Dishwasher

I really need the money to pay down some hospital bills, however , thanks to sales I am good to go THIS month. I return to trying to out fit the addition.

PS. Just dreaming , this is probably a much nicer appliance than what I will end up installing. I already bought the stove and microwave/vent hood in LG S/S.

Bryan

Please don't "Occupy" me. At least call first :)

A thought, I have an 02/03 187 wide helicat, awesome stick, I would be interested in trading for a 200 of the same vintage. I would just like something a little narrower, since I ride harboots exclusively. Full disclosure, there is a repair on one of the edges between the bindings. If you are interested, pm me, and lets see what we can work out

mario

The one on the left is the newer, lighter version.

The one on the right is the 2002/03 version, it is heavier and beefy. This is my favorite year of the Tankers.

Big Mario, perhaps we can work something out , I send you a 192cm of the 2002 and you send your 187cm to Nate?

See where this goes. PS. I do have the 200cm of that year, just don't want to let it go. Getting harder to come by and it is my favorite pow board. I do have some newer ones.

post-198-141842406585_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842406584_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the offer, but I think I have to pass. I had the Skunk Ape 180 last season and found the base a little soft and sticky for me. I switched to the HP, which feels harder and faster, but maxes at 170, which is why I placed the ad! I love the big Libs, but think I'll probably be going in a different direction.

After all this, i opted for the 200 Donek Hazelwood. Thanks to all who responded, especially Bryan and Mario for trying to work out a deal for the Heli-Cat! The Hazelwood will be ultrawide to accommodate my big boots. I'll still keep an ear to the ground for a Big Gun 195, but otherwise, this thread's closed!

After all this, i opted for the 200 Donek Hazelwood. Thanks to all who responded, especially Bryan and Mario for trying to work out a deal for the Heli-Cat! The Hazelwood will be ultrawide to accommodate my big boots. I'll still keep an ear to the ground for a Big Gun 195, but otherwise, this thread's closed!

Hi Nate, happy to help, it is what we do here at BOL :)

Close the thread? NO WAY!! We want to see this BEAST when you get it from Sean!!

Bryan

• 2 weeks later...

attachment.php?attachmentid=37493&d=1391463661

The green machine is an awesome ride. First day was yesterday with 5 inches of fresh on top of hero groomers. Sean builds a great board and you will not be disappointed. Looks like we will have another 20 -30 inches this weekend so I should be able to give it the full on powder test!!!!:biggthump The only problem now is I want another alpine board to match.

• 1 month later...

For one reason and another, it took awhile, but the Hazelwood has landed. I'm very excited to get it out on the hill, but may have to wait a week or so. Definitely way beyond the Doughboy or Big Gun I was originally seeking, but with a little of their spirits channeled. I think this one's going to rip! I hope I can keep up.