Note to New Members ×

any Bitcoin users on BOL?

loopback

I was considering trying to sell some unused gear for bitcoin only. I'd like to accumulate some (<$500CDN worth) bitcoins for an investment and figured it was one way to not mind losing it all without actually laying out cash.

Converting Paypal funds to Bitcoin seems difficult right now and is a good way to get your PP account frozen from what I have read.

Vancouver, BC has a bitcoin ATM

http://www.vancouversun.com/100K+traded+through+Vancouver+Bitcoin+week+with+video/9145774/story.html

I agree though, the volatility right now means that you have to essentially be willing to lose it all.

The FUD around BitCoin reminds of the FUD surrounding MP3s and Napster originally. IMHO BitCoin may not be the answer to fiat currency but just like Napster did not kill CDs, BitCoin won't kill fiat currency but it will end up being an important first step.

Edited by loopback

• 4 weeks later...
The real problem is that the so called US Federal Reserve has to be done away with!

As Federal a govt agency as Federal Express....

In related news, we're getting a bitcoin ATM in Ottawa this month:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/Bitcoin+coming+Ottawa/9386930/story.html

and Toronto too:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/01/13/bitcoin_atm_comes_to_toronto.html

NYC:

http://rt.com/usa/bitcoin-atm-coming-nyc-546/

This is an interesting topic loopback.

I think its about time the Fed reserve and its like all over the world are brought down so as the masses of people stop getting ripped off.

Will it be a hedge against inflation or fiat currency in the future, I don't have a clue.like others have said its early days and volatile.

I love the idea of alternative currency but the Fed and their ilk no doubt will be worried and will be conjuring up a plan to create a loss of confidence in bitcoin. I wouldn't be surprised if the Fed is buying up the coins itself to have control. After all there is a limit I think 21million coins? Well the Fed (bank of England too)

Does make money from NOTHING it could easily afford them..haha.

Have you heard of: lite, feather and quark coins? It certainly a trend now these crypto currencies. I think quark coins mined all theirs in a 6 month period whereas with but coin you can still mine.

Also Google and co have recently put millions of dollars into a cross currency exchange network called Ripple, this includes exchanging with bit coins.

Google is CIA, is it not? So will those using their bitcoin lose anonymity using ripple?

Bitcoin's popularity gives me hope that people are waking up and saying no to those that are doing their damndest to brain wash us for their benefit.

still don't forget the time honoured gold and silver re inflation/fiat currency hedge..not in paper format though but in actual bullion and coins. There's some very interesting reading about the Fed's banking pals manipulating these metals because they've over leveraged on the paper exchanges, are now caught short and need the prices low to cover the positions and turn long....when they're long I don't doubt they'll manipulate the price up...with a bit of volatility to scare the little investors out.

Bring on money by the people and for the people.....

Just my 2 Bitcoins worth:D

Edited by floBoot

carver is dead on!

The Creature From Jekyll Island. By Griffith

tangibles are the way to go! Bitcoin is interesting but the volume is low and the history chain makes it not anonymous. It is very much like napster as it too will show the potential, be co-opted by the establishment and die a slow death. I'm interested in the money equivalent of bittorrent, a next generationthat arises and solves the problems identified bitcoin.