Note to New Members ×

What's the beta on carving Jackson Hole?

queequeg

I big group of my friends are headed to Jackson hole this winter to participate in some kind of big-mountain/backcountry snow camp. I will be joining them but not as a camper, since I want to carve.

From what I've been reading (http://www.skinet.com/ski/article/go-jackson-hole) JH has put more of a focus on groomed terrain lately, which is nice. What are the best carving runs on the mountain?

I'm planning on bringing two boards, a carving deck and a more versatile deck that can better take advantage of what JH is known for. I'm trying to figure out which of the two carving decks to bring. One is much stiffer, with a very long sidecut and a BP mounted. It's super fun to ride but it's not for the faint of heart on skinny trails. The other is a little softer, much turner and loves making quicker turns on steeper terrain. Which would be the better one for JH? They're both super fun rides so I'm sure I'll be happy either way. My gut says to go with the stiffer, faster board.

Thanks for any and all info!

-Jose

I think that Casper Carver is the only forum regular that rode extensively at JH. Maybe try sending him a direct email if he has that enabled on the forum. Two Ravens was at Snow King a lot... I have only ridden Targhee but studied up on JH a little. A quick internet search came up with a JH-Targhee shuttle that might be useful. I don't know if there are other choices for shuttles, but a rental care would definitely be the most flexible. Driving between the resorts requires going over Teton Pass, which I suppose could get ugly in a storm.

• 3 weeks later...

I would go straight to Laramie Bowl and make laps until it's torn up. Watch your back here because people ski fast over on this side of the mountain. Take the tram to the top to get there fast. Then over to the new Casper chair. Best runs on the mountain for my style. New high speed quad. No more race track right in the middle like a few years ago. I don't bother with runs off the Apre Vous lift. Grooming over there usually not so good and mixed conditions. Because i"m a bit A.D.D. I pay the extra cash and park in the front lot. You can be in the tram line in ten minutes. If you park in the back 40 it will take you a half hour + to get on the mountain.

Thanks Capser — That's great info! One more question: Is it a pain to descend into Laramie Bowl from the tram on a big GS board?? I don't imagine there is much up there that is groomed, which is fine with me as long as there is a way down that isn't toooooo hairy. I figure you ride the tram up first thing in the AM and then just do laps on the sublette chair until heading over to casper? Thanks again!

Edited by queequeg

• 1 year later...

Hey going to JH Jan 13th to the 19th or 2015 ?  

If anyone wants to meet up for some carving please chime in ?  Driving from oregon to meet some family, so get to bring a quiver in the subyru.  Carving , Tanker , Cross , and split ?   Whatever is best for the day .  Heard they have good pow so hoping for some Tanker action ! Last time I was here was in college mid-late 80s in neon colors !  

Jim 

Edited by P06781