Note to New Members ×

Roof Racks for Existing Components

utahcarver

OK Gang,

My DW bought a new car back in August (Hyundai Accent HB) and failed to get any kind of rack system for the vehicle. I was out of town and could not reach her in time. FF to now: I've searched the web for roof racks for already existing components (i.e., I currently have Yakima ski carriers and a Thule snowboard carrier) which possess elliptical mounts for aeroblade style bars. I've been using them on a Suburban which got sold and driven off today and so NOW I am left with the ability to carry boards and skis IF I can find the right lower bar equipment.

Amazon.com offers components which come seperate. Etrailer.com offers kits which hover around 300-plus USD and includes shipping. Rola, Yakima, and Thule seem to be the top runners. I'm just trying to explore my options. Should I try to stay with the aeroblade crossbars OR find adapters for the carriers which would fit either Yakima or Thule racks? There is another choice which might mount to the windows, something I'd like to avoid for safety and security reasons but I cannot remember the name of the manufacturer. Inno?

What does the community suggest? I don't mind plunking down 2 or 3 hundred USD for a safe rack system but, I am trying to be wise and economical, too. Thanks for any input. BTW, I love the Hyundai Accent HB but it is small and compact. Not meant to carry cinder blocks or roof supports for This Old House Smells Like Sewage Water. I wish she would have bought something that I don't need a shoe spoon to get in and out of. That's another story..........

Mark

Mark - you can't really go wrong with Thule/Yakima. The old square/round bars accept accessories from each other. The mounting brackets have a notch in them that you can remove to fit the other style of bars. I don't know anything about the aeroblade crossbars - I've seen them, never used them. I've used Thule crossbars only. Don't mount stuff to windows, that sounds like a terrible idea for many different reasons.

If you need to save cash, buy stuff used/ebay.

Windows? What??? You mean the old style clamps that you attach to the gutters? Those are perfectly fine although quote unquote ugly/old-fashioned. I use them cause I have an old BMW and drive all day at 110mph with no problems.

First of all, see what attachment points your car has. Do you have flush rails? Or bolts underneath the car door window seals? Or fixed points underneath a cover?

That'll limit what kind of roof rack you can buy. If an aerobar is available, buy it to save the hassle of retrofitting your rack accessories to the bar.

When it comes to roof racks I try to buy OEM, as then I get something that was specifically designed for my car and has better fit/finish.

Btw, fashion police: ski boxes are in, ski/snowboard carriers are OUT.

Windows? What??? You mean the old style clamps that you attach to the gutters? Those are perfectly fine although quote unquote ugly/old-fashioned. I use them cause I have an old BMW and drive all day at 110mph with no problems.

First of all, see what attachment points your car has. Do you have flush rails? Or bolts underneath the car door window seals? Or fixed points underneath a cover?

That'll limit what kind of roof rack you can buy. If an aerobar is available, buy it to save the hassle of retrofitting your rack accessories to the bar.

When it comes to roof racks I try to buy OEM, as then I get something that was specifically designed for my car and has better fit/finish.

Btw, fashion police: ski boxes are in, ski/snowboard carriers are OUT.

Thanks, Michael. No, I am not referring to old style clamps that attach(ed) to raingutters. Rather, these are racks which attach the car window/frame assembly (http://www.winterracks.com/. I kind of like the idea until I think about going through a drive-through service for a coffee. Or, when I walk around the car and car and cannot get into a door because the boards or skis are attached to it. Not to speak of if anything of legitimate weight were applied to it would it shatter the window and or break the frame of the door? Legitimate questions I think. That said, it looks like a great idea if it has the bugs worked out.

I hear you on the OEM parts. Trouble is, the local Hyundai dealer wants around $450 to retrofit with OEM. I am currently looking on FleaBay and elsewhere for a better deal. Amazon.com seems to be in the running but, they leave out certain things like foot-pads, connectors, and accessories. You have to read the ads closely or end up paying dearly.

Box carriers are great and are the norm around here in norther Utah. They protect equipment from road salts and other debris. I am trying to work with what I have at the moment and am working my way up to getting one. Funny, I've seen cars with two boxes on the racks. Now, that my man, is living! Finally, a place to put Aunt Ednas' body.

Mark