Note to New Members ×

Jeep King of the Mountain - you can compete at Mt. Snow

Guest Randy S.

Guest Randy S.

For those east coasters here, there's a great opportunity coming up. The Jeep King of the Mountain is one of the most fun races I've ever competed in. It is coming to Mt. Snow on Jan 22-23. ANYONE can register to compete in the race on the 22nd. That means YOU. You don't need to be a racing expert. I don't know what they are charging this year, but when I did it at Squaw last year the cost was less than a lift ticket and included a lift ticket. You'll get to race with and meet some of the top snowboard racers in the world. No joke. I spent most of the day riding/racing with Doresia Krings and Deiter Krassnig (kind of a jerk - but Doresia is awesome) plus Alex Maier - Hermann's brother, Anton Pogue, Lynn Ott and a bunch of other really cool folks. Seriously, if you've ever considered racing, you need to go compete in this thing. It was truly the most fun race I've been in.

The race is not too hard, and very exciting. It was the first time since High School that I was scared in the start gate. There are jumps, but you should be able to navigate them no problem. You'll get to practice in the BX section a few times at full speed so you'll have a sense of how fast to hit the doubles (hint - hit the first double at full speed - you don't want to come up short on that one if its like the others I've seen in those races.

If you have little kids, bring them. Get the pros to sign their helmets and they'll probably get on TV (mine did last season). My kids are still really proud of their helmets signed by Casey Puckett, Tommy Moe, Chris Klug, Jasey Jay, etc.

Even if you don't race, you should go watch this race. You'll be stunned by how close you can get to the competitors. They'll chat with you, sign stuff and just hang around. Chris Klug will be there, as will a bunch of other very fast riders. The pro teams don't have to qualify on the 22nd, but there will be pros who aren't on a team who show up to try to qualify because there is big money available if you win. In fact, last year you were basically guaranteed $1000 if you qualified - I don't know if it works the same this year.

If you want to get a sense of what the race is like, the next coverage is coming up on 1/16 on OLN at 6:00pm EST (3:00 out here on the west coast). Set your TIVO, this is fun to watch. Don't worry too much though, the first part of qualfication day is run solo, not dual so you don't need to worry about crashing into someone unless you make it through a few rounds.

After the Mt. Snow one, the next one is at Heavenly in Tahoe on 2/5. I was planning to race, but can't because of my torn achilles. I may still go watch, but we'll see how I feel. I need studded caps for my crutches.

Jeep King of the Mountain

01/22/2005 - 01/23/2005

Top skiers and snowboarders from around the world will ‘strap'em on’ for the revolutionary cutting edge format called the "Y." Expect to see some of the world’s top racers at this nationally televised event.

Racing action will start at Mount Snow with a National Open Qualifier on Saturday, January 22 at 10:00am located in the Sundance Base Area on Coopers Junction.

This year’s format has been altered to allow participants to register and race individually. This qualifier is open to any ski or snowboard racer wishing to participate.

The top two qualifying skiers and snowboarders will then be paired to take part in the Skiing and Snowboarding World Championships, set for 11am on Sunday, January 23rd.

In addition to moving the open qualifier to an exclusively individual format, the prize money structure has changed dramatically to reward the individual versus the team as in past years. The racers will be competing for a combined $75,000 prize purse.

Race Registration:

Friday, 1/21 from 1:00pm-6:00pm - Grand Summit Hotel

Sorry, no registration will be accepted on Saturday

Mandatory Racer Meeting:

Friday, 1/21 7:00pm - Grand Summit Hotel

Saturday 1/22

9:00am Course Inspection/Qualifers

9:30am Y Zone Training

10:30am Qualifing Runs

Sunday 1/23

9:00am Course Inspection

9:30am Training/Seeding Runs

11:00am Round of 8 - National TV

12:00pm Semi Finals/Finals

1:30pm Awards

*** Times are subject to change without notice. ***

For more details about competiting, go to Jeep Competition Rules or e-mail Ted Martin at ted@eclipsetv.net for more details.

Click here for more information.

Sorry to hear about the heel Randy. I just saw "Troy" the other night. Achilles would be riding a carving sword for sure. Dude, the forecast is for kitesurfing here in Boston. SW 15-25 and 55 degrees but it's socked in FOGGY and damp right now...just like a san fran day. Heal up quick!

post-123-141842200606_thumb.jpg

Results from this past weekend's Jeep, King of the Mountain Competition:

Final Results

1. Jasey Jay

2. Pete Thorndike

3. Jeff Greenwood

4. Chris Klug

Qualifying Results

8. S.Maynard

Had 14 signups, but I think the size of the 1st hit scared most away.

Man what a course. I never knew I could be so beaten up by a green circle run.

Had a blast. It was an honor to hang out and share the course with these living legends of our sport.

Guest Randy S.
Originally posted by smaynard

Thanks for the undeserved props though.

I was wondering about that after I looked at your pre-edited post. Thorndike and Greeny would both have been qualifiers and they only take two qualifiers. I figured maybe they'd relaxed the rules. Greeny won the one that was on TV recently at Snowbird. Probably his biggest payday ever. I think the winner gets $10K.

Its cool that this one had an all "American" podium. Canada is part of North America, right?

Guest Randy S.
Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill

Last I checked, although if you read the "dumb things" thread there's at least one person who figures Montreal is in France...

They speak a version of French in Montreal. Maybe it is in France? Oh, and they even translate "STOP" on the stop signs. In France, stop signs say "STOP", in Quebec they say "ARRET". Go figure.