Note to New Members ×

Northwave Point 950 yellow the holy grail of snowboardboots !?

Cyrus the virus

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine this situation: you are coasting along on the flats and running out of steam. With stepins, you pull your handle, skate along until the slope steepens enough to coast, then step in on the move. No need to stop or lose speed at any point. Or coming off the lift, again a couple of kicks to clear the ramp, step in on the fly and gone. If you ride with skiers like I often do, no more impatient people.

i guess I see the argument, but I think that "losing speed" is a pretty illogical concern, given that you are going slow enough to require unstrapping and skating...........

i guess I see the argument, but I think that "losing speed" is a pretty illogical concern, given that you are going slow enough to require unstrapping and skating...........
With toe clips, you bend over and potentially catch an edge or turn sideways, maybe your toe clip digs into the snow, maybe you have to sit down to clip up.... all I know is that I have used both and after using step-ins will never go back. Many people feel the same.

It is clear that there is some convenience with stepins.

Is there a true sacrifice in function for this convenience? - Subjective and unanswerable!

Solution = I'll take both please :)

while we are dreaming - how about a lighter but still solid Fintec heel. Gold anodized titanium sounds about right for a dream boot thread.

With toe clips, you bend over and potentially catch an edge or turn sideways, maybe your toe clip digs into the snow, maybe you have to sit down to clip up.... all I know is that I have used both and after using step-ins will never go back. Many people feel the same.

That's fair, but when respiritu was asking about the advantages of step-ins, I believe his inquiry was a little more geared toward the advantages vis-à-vis racing. We are talking about the NorthWaves, after all. Quick and convenient clipping-in/out probably isn't a top priority, as these guys would spend an hour connecting themselves to their boards if they felt there was a competitive advantage.

Soft and hard toe & heel pads(like my old blax) should be an option right, different pad thickness options could address ramp angle.

you can't argue the step in "OPTION" will increase marketability and sales without forcing racers to use stepin binders.

Edited by b0ardski

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know anything about 3D printing, but possibly it could be suited either to actually making plastic parts for the boots considering the low quantities required or, for longer runs if the boots are a success then the dies could be made by 3D printing for conventional manufacture.

Is it possible that the cost of manufacturing new carving boots could be considerably lowered with the new technology?

Soft and hard toe & heel pads(like my old blax) should be an option right, different pad thickness options could address ramp angle.

you can't argue the step in "OPTION" will increase marketability and sales without forcing racers to use stepin binders.

Sure, for future versions, but definitely not for the first run.

• 1 year later...