Note to New Members ×

bail tension of burton race plates

snowboardfast

I've found that Race Plates are very sensitive to the stiffness of the boot sole. Softer soled boots, like the old Raichle SBs would flex and release (esp. in warmer temps) if the tension wasn't very tight. Stiffer soled boots, like Burtons seem to require less tension to be secure.

I will am using a deluxe lemans boot with the Bomber heel and toe which is stiffer than the stock soles that come with the boots. I am going to try monodude's suggestion because at the tighter setting it is way too tight and at the next setting it is too loose. It would be nice if the Burton binding was like my Nidecker in that the blocks slide back and forth and can be moved verylittle to adjust tension where the Burton has to go to the next hole pattern which could be to far in or out depending on your boot shell. 3 and 3 is too tight and 3 on the heel and 4 on the toe is too loose. The instructions for the Ibex binding say that you should run the same numbers to keep the boot centered but if I went to 4 and 4 it would be way off. Maybe they were designed to work best with Burton hardboots?

I have found a solution. I installed some vinyl tubing on the heel bails and now I have a better fit with out being too tight or too loose.I used1/4" vinyl tubing from home depot and cut it down the middle so that it will slip over the bails and I secured it with black electrical tape so that it can be removed if it wears out of for any other reason. The 1/4'' tubing is about a perfect fit over the bail wire.

Edited by snowboardfast
adding to post