Note to New Members ×

Alpine was doomed from day one.

www.oldsnowboards.com

Now that we have your attention :) Worth watching if you haven't already.

WARNING- This is a full length movie, grab a beer , kick back and enjoy!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/o0nMxxRU6Js?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

Great vid! Too bad your title is spot on for telling us the ending of the production. Money won, snowboarding lost on any level when compared to this one fact. Although I am for progression of our sport and for sharing it with others, apparently, it comes at a very high price. My whole life has been wrapped around riding a snowboard in winter. I'm an addict. I don't need no 12-Step program to help me. What's cool is to see other people in our sport pushing hard to be the best they can be. That is inspiring. What sucks is when they push for money and not joy. Sorry, someone has to say it. Although I am a Flying Tomato fan, it all comes with a price. White caved and went for the fame and money while Kelly didn't. Both great riders. Both great talent. Both trying to provide for themselves and their families. Craig paid his price, and Shaun (White) is paying his. Sadly, the movie paints Jake Carpenters' first approach to snowboarding (racing, hardboots, timing clocks) as some sort of mentally-retarded child that was eventually institutionalized while at the same time promoting Sims approach as a skateboarder turned ski-boarder and saving the world from gates and electric-eye finishes. Then, Jake ends up getting the best freestyle rider in the world and taking Sims' idea of half-pipe riding and turning into a marketing plan to control the entire global snowboard community. Johnny Quest meets Doctor Evil and The Alan Parsons Project making alpine the laughing-stock of riding a snowboard. I'll take laughing-stock over mass media and marketing sluts any day.

Like softbootsailer, I started out on the water and concrete waves. The mountains called and I had to go (Muir).

What a trying moment to listen to Tom Sims talk about Kelly's passing while knowing that Sims has passed since those interviews. This is a great sport we have and great people in it to make it fun, interesting, challenging, and competitive. Snowboarding is life. Thanks, Bryan!

Mark

It was a bit biased but a great history lesson. I would hope that today's tight pants/jib crew could and would recognize where the roots came from and understand a little bit about the soul aspect of riding mountains. Do it for the love. I truly love it and hope this broken body of mine holds up for many more years of riding.

well then Record this...Doyles Monoski was the First Alpine Board in the Modern Era though the Stance was strange :)

I am familiar with his early /first boards. I think like many bits of history the details are tricky and fluid.

Not sure if it is still in the Vail museum , I remember seeing it years ago. Fiberglass and wood. Very cool!