Note to New Members ×

Mammoth 4/19-4/21

breeseomatic

I'm planning on one last trip this weekend. If you are interested in connecting, reply to this thread and we can exchange information to make meeting up on the mountain easier. If you just show up on the mountain, look for a fumbling carver wearing white pants with wacky red stripes, blue jacket and a neon green helmet. That's me.

Also I'm looking to borrow a small carving board suitable for a beginner female that weighs under 120 lbs. Boots will probably be AT boots rented at Mammoth Mountain Outfitters.

John,

I'd absolutely love to try out that F2 for myself. I'm looking for a shorter slalom board for those days that it's packed and I need to dodge traffic. Can I take it up to the mountain to try it out? I don't think I'll be putting my guest on a real carving board just yet, but if I had one that would work for her, we might try it out. I need to get her to carve some turns on her freeride/freestyle type board first, then maybe we can work up to something next year.

Let me know if you are comfortable with me borrowing your board, I may just want to buy it off you if it feels like I am hoping it does.

Hey it was a complete blast! Snow was good but didnt freeze Saturday night so got a few runs on Sunday until the groom ran out.

Joe is a super cool ambassador for the sport, fancy pants and all. I got to ride a couple boards from his quiver, loved the Coiler, found the Donek a bit less forgiving but fun. Thank you Joe!!!

Chris, thanks for the kind words. I'm bummed we couldn't ride much over the weekend. I had too many people to meet and entertain to stick to just one group. I'm glad you got the chance to sample some different boards. Here's my summary of events for the weekend.

Friday was a great day with the F2 Silberpfeil 162 on the back side and all over the mountain. That thing cuts tight turns and holds an edge like no other short carving board I have ever experienced. A few times the thing would cut so fast, I was already transitioning into my next turn before I was ready. Saturday was an amazing day with the Donek Proteus 170 on Chair 9. I spent the ride up catching my breath and the ride down was a combination of dragging my right knee and left hip in the snow, it felt like I was on rails. I pretty much did the same on Chair 8 and Roller coaster. I even rode through the terrain parks a few times with a few jibbers I met up with and laid down some nice carves leading up to a few of the smaller jumps. I surprised a lot of freestylers and myself on that one. On Sunday, I rode the Coiler FC VSR 169 with a very cool guy named Ladia on a Virus. We rode Chair 9 a few times then headed over to Cornice and I seemed to be able to slarve it decently. We camped out on Fascination under Broadway Express and cut it up pretty good.

I'm not sure what I want to get next to play with. I think a plate system like the Bomber Boiler plate or Donek AF plate to add some high speed traction and maybe a longer split tail board from Alpine Punk just for the wow factor. If I'm gonna have "fancy pants" and a noticeable helmet, I should have a board that screams "look at me".

I want to say thanks to the following people in no particular order:

Neil (nekdut) for taking some time out of his day earlier in the season to talk with me and give me some good advice. That advice was to buy a metal board. Game changer for sure.

Theo (king crimson) for taking time out of his busy day in the photo booth to critique my form, provide tech support on my bindings, and for offering me a floor to sleep on.

Chris (2stroke) for being a genuinely cool guy that I met by selling a board here. He helped finance my year by buying some of my wares and letting me crash on the couch for a weekend. Thanks again Chris.

John (hey john) for being ultra cool, letting me borrow an amazing snowboard and selling it to me.

Ladia for being a great coach over the weekend, giving me some pointers that helped me shred up the "steeps". Thanks for the good stories on the lift.

Last but not least, Kim, for being able to take and dish out the sarcasm and jokes, Your jabs about my fancy pants hurt me to the core, haha!

See y'all next year.

Definitely looking forward to next year! Going to have to up the equipment first things first is to say goodbye to the Fly $40 boots ;) going to be selling off some non boarding equipment to fund some purchases.

I learned a lot this season and want to say thanks to Theo for words of encouragement and re-sparking my interest in hardbooting. I still owe you a few boxes of cookies. Thanks to Joe for shoveling me along and "making" me try out some true carving boards, a pleasant eye opener, surprised myself in that I was able to turn them with my floppy boots. Very cool that you could hang with my geriatric group and have fun, Bingo, Kanasta, & the smell of Ben-Gay and moth balls didnt stop you. Everyone in my group enjoyed your company, we'll be sure to keep some room for you next season. Kim is still hurting from the core shots but I'm sure she'll stop crying herself to sleep soon enough. I think it wont take much convincing and we can get her on hardboots as well so she can find out what a real workout feels like, he he...

Next season Im looking forward to joining some sessions and getting tips from the group. Hopefully June will open and still be carve friendly and we get a decent snow year.