Note to New Members ×

TD1 & TD2 heel receiver wear

Carp

Anything to slow this down? I've read reviews of people having this problem and now I am too. I'd like the receiver to last as long as I can but the wear is getting more noticable. Was thinking a drop of oil on the pins or a other suggested lubrication product.

Thanks for the help.

Pedros Syn Grease or other comparable product on the ramps and pins will help slow the wear.

Also, getting out of the bindings is a two step process.

1. Pressure down on the heel of the foot you are trying to remove.

2. Then with the heel pressing down, pull up on the cable and then and only then pull the boot out of the binding.

If you are just pulling up on the boot at the same time as you are pulling on the cable you are putting undo stress on the receiver heel.

(I want to thank Bob Jenney for the above tip.)

->Ben

Ive done everything we're supposed to and my receievers still look like ass with only 12 days on them. The wear is worse on the left side of the receiver...some actual material removal, not just paint. Ive lubed them, removed any burrs from the pins in the heels, lubed the pins, and Im pretty darn sure I have the right snugness in the interface but theyre still kinda beat. Dunno what the deal is. oh well, I figure. These are one of the cheaper parts to replace, soo...

my take is that a better treatment than powder coating might solve a lot of this. Maybe steel instead of aluminum? I know it isnt that simple...

I cannot take credit for this suggestion, Dave Morgan (YYZCanuck) recommended taking a diamond stone and rounding off all of the sharp edges of the pins. Concentrate your efforts on where the pins contact the receiver - bottom of the pins.

I have done this and it seems to reduce the amount of wear on my Catek Olympic receivers.

This combined with greasing the pins and receiver will reduce wear greatly.

Hope it helps

Rob

I too have taken the same steps mentioned above (grease ramps, deburr pins, etc.), yet much of the anodizing is worn off, especially on the left side - but no problems getting in/out of them. As a matter of fact, after about 10-12 days on these, I feel like they're sorta broke in. May pick up an extra heel receiver as a back up in case I run into further wear problems - but so far ok. According to Fin, this is pretty normal. A recommendation was given to rotate the heel receivers front to back every other season or so to allow for even wear.

They definitely "break in" - the receivers on my TD2s looked well worn after only 2 days of riding, but now after 30 + days they look pretty much the same as after 2 days... they are easier to get in and out of now though. IMHO people are worrying too much about how they look...

Maybe they have to "seat", like a new set of piston rings and cylinders :) Mine don't seem to wear as much as the old TD1 receivers.

I bought a couple of extra heel receivers. They're only about $15 each, which isn't too bad, since the rear one is the only one that wears much and I'm sure I'll get at least a couple of seasons out of one receiver.