Note to New Members ×

Bomber Boiler Plate 4mm Lite

Bomber Boiler 4mm Lite Review

Conditions: Groomed hard granular base with 1-2” of loose granular on top. 40F and sunny.

Plates: Boiler 5mm and Boiler 4mm Lite

Mounting Hardware: UPM (no muss no fuss – it just fits)

Axle Spacing: Rear axle under my rear heal and front axle under the ball of my front foot

Board: Donek FC Glass 175 VSR

Bindings used: Bomber TD3 SI with BP Cant Discs

Boots: Track 700T White with race tongues, BTS and Fintecs

Rider weight: 155 – 160 without gear

Rider skill/experience/style: Average / 20 plus years on alpine gear / race carve – upright – currently nursing a sore back

Started out with the 5mm Boiler to get a baseline as I have put some miles on this plate. The 5mm plate needs speed and it feels most effective when carving at a good clip. Slow speed handling in traffic can be a challenge. I like the leverage and smooth ride – especially at speed – like a freight train on rails. Found myself going faster than I should have.

Switched over to the 4mm Lite after a quick coffee break.

Immediately found the 4mm Lite to be more forgiving at lower speeds and had more board feel especially in the mid-section of the board. Slarving was way easier when encountering groups of yobos or open coaters.

The 4mm Lite still had the leverage and soaked up the uneven terrain like the 5mm plate. Still found myself going faster than I should have. :rolleyes:

One thing I really like better about the 4mm Lite is the extra mounting options (extra inserts in the plate and extra outer axle side boss mounting holes). It is a little easier to get my stance and axle spacing dialed in. :)

Overall very impressed with the 4mm Lite. For my weight and riding (mostly freecarving) it works better. Nice work Fin. Thanks for taking something good and making it better. Looking forward to more days on the mountain with this plate. :D

• 3 weeks later...

A plate can be very helpful in a race course but it has to be setup to match the conditions. The rider needs to have experience in those conditions and understand when its' use will be an advantage. As an example, i don't think a plate would be a huge advantage to a technical rider on a slow course when the mass of a ride is more a factor in plowing through crud. It will however help to smooth out the crud. In icy conditions a plate can offer grip that you just can't achieve any other way. A plate is simply a tool the right tool for the right job is the riders responsibility.

I'm 15 years old 5"6 165 pounds all muscle, and not done growing. I was just a little bit curious. Because I havn't seen much people race on bomber plate. I'm not yet sue if I'm ready for a plate or not yet.

Edited by CHAINSAW

• 1 month later...