Note to New Members ×

Thoughts on a Kessler 168 for freecarving?

purpletiesto

Hi there fellow BOLers!

I'm in the market for a new board and, out of curiosity, a Kessler 168 is probably going to be it. I've currently got a Coiler AM 176, but I'm just looking for something different to expand on what I've already got. The 168 seems to be more of a freecarve model judging from its specs. Has anyone here used a 168 for freecarving?

I'm not a racer, never have and never will. I'm 190cm/77kg. 3 years on hardboots, also. Prob 100 days in total.

Dan

The 168 is Kessler's all-around board with a weight range of 65-95kg. It's the only alpine board in Kessler's lineup that isn't designed for racing from the ground up. Fairly mellow 8-12m sidecut. I ride it and the 162SL as my go-to boards on Eastern slopes. I like to make tight turns so I leave the big GS boards in the shop. Not enough room for those where I ride.

The 168 has ASIP and 4x4 inserts so you can add a plate if you like.

Henry at Apex

The 168 is Kessler's all-around board with a weight range of 65-95kg. It's the only alpine board in Kessler's lineup that isn't designed for racing from the ground up. Fairly mellow 8-12m sidecut. I ride it and the 162SL as my go-to boards on Eastern slopes. I like to make tight turns so I leave the big GS boards in the shop. Not enough room for those where I ride.

The 168 has ASIP and 4x4 inserts so you can add a plate if you like.

Henry at Apex

If it isn't designed for racing, then what is his particular Kessler designed for? From the specs, it seems more freecarve oriented... Could be wrong though.

I'm guessing you're Henry from Apex. Are Apex plates designed to work mainly with Kesslers, or any snowboard? Is there any benefit they get from being on a Kessler board over a different board apart from Kesslers having ASIP inserts?

D

I guess there aren't many recreational Kessler riders out there!

There are many recreational Kessler riders. Kessler makes a freeride soft boot board called the Ride. And we offer skis. But the Cross (SBX) and Alpine are primarily designed for racing. That doesn't mean you can't use a race board to Freecarve. Plenty of people do.

I guess the 168 looks interesting to me in terms of being a non-race board. Honestly, I just want one to see what the hype is about. Whenever I see someone write about it, the same thing is always said. "This was the best handling board I've been on" is the general consensus from what I've read.

I know the Kessler freeride board, I think it was the old Palmer one right? I used to have one.

I guess the 168 looks interesting to me in terms of being a non-race board. Honestly, I just want one to see what the hype is about. Whenever I see someone write about it, the same thing is always said. "This was the best handling board I've been on" is the general consensus from what I've read.

I know the Kessler freeride board, I think it was the old Palmer one right? I used to have one.

I think it's Kesslers KST shape that makes them ride so well. Traditional camber in the middle with slight rise in the tail and nose. A lot of companies have adopted that shape now but Kessler matches it up really well with the sidecut so you have a board that can do 12m turns and then you put it on edge, pressure it and it does a nice tight 8m turn. Plus you can run it flat and not worry about the tail catching. So ya, the board gives you a lot of confidence.

The Ride and Palmer had similar shapes and Palmer's version of KST was called FLF (Feels like Flying). I think the Palmer Platinum was priced at $1,800.

^yep. what rally surprised me about the kesslers was how forgiving and versatile they were. i'm a non-racer, relatively new freecarver (though been boarding forever), and was hesitant about riding a wc race board, but they turned out to be more forgiving than the conventional boards i'd been on previously. the combination of (relatively) low camber, fat tip & tail decamber, big taper, vsr & metal, makes for an amazingly capable, and easy to ride machine. very confidence inspiring at the upper reaches of my (limited) skillset as well; planted when things get hairy. amazing.

and: there's a fresh 168 on the b&s right now. i'd be snapping that up if i had the dosh.

purpletiesto lives in Aussie so the shipping cost will be exorbitant... Some do ship using USPS and the cost to Aussie tends to be reasonable (79 bucks for Storm 161) but merchants (e.g. Donek) seem to have better deal than individuals...

Look around! We Aussie/Kiwis still have 5 months for the season... No need to hurry...

I've got an 168 BX narrow (22.2 waist) built for hard boots. A bit different animal, but here are my CAD 0.02 :

It has very tight cut on the nose and very open at the tail. It can initiate smooth or crazy tight. I doesn't like to finish the turns, unless you specifically want it to do so. Very fast.

It has more edge hold then my Coiler AMT 177. It "plow-carves" less good.

purpletiesto lives in Aussie so the shipping cost will be exorbitant... Some do ship using USPS and the cost to Aussie tends to be reasonable (79 bucks for Storm 161) but merchants (e.g. Donek) seem to have better deal than individuals...

Look around! We Aussie/Kiwis still have 5 months for the season... No need to hurry...

I agree, there are some good shippers out there for decent rates. Would you mind posting your post in the classifieds thread where the 168 is for sale?

• 4 weeks later...

After I got my work bonus for last year I bought a kessler 168 last week and rode it for tHree days straight at my home mountain here at Powderhorn. At first it was washing out on my heel sides and I adjusted my TD3s 3/8ths inch forward and it solved the problem. I then proceeded to flip this board on edge effortlessly and with the sidecut of 8 near the shovel and 12 near the tail it turned quickly (which is why I bought it for narrower slopes). I was a little concerned that this board would be too short for my height and weight (6 foot 195) but no problem it handled like a longer board and felt relatively stable. I was able to do 2 hand touches on both sides finally with no fear. This an incredible board for free carving and is an excellent addition to my quiver betWeen my Coiler VSR 177 and Donek axess 177. Great all around board as Kessler advertises. With the price I probably will not be adding to my quiver any time soon.