Note to New Members ×

going to sun valley jan 27-30

mike g.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I was doing some thinking about where to go for the 14-15 season and read in Ski magazine that SV is highly regarded for its grooming. There aren't many threads on this board in recent years about people carving there, however. Does the $1999 season pass have anything to do with it? It certainly brings me pause. It must be the most expensive pass in the Americas. Hey Mike G, how was it back in January?

There is a guy here on Bomber that teaches there, I think. I was there for a week in March of 97. It rained and was so foggy the whole week. By the last day, we could finally see where we were going! From what I remember, the town was nice. And it was a lot bigger than I was used to having live in Pennsylvania at the time. The beginner area is totally separate from the rest of the mountain and I remember back then feeling a little intimidated by the "green" runs on the main mountain. Forget what that area was called.... All the way to the left when looking up from the base. I seem to remember some long traverses getting over there too. I'm sure it wouldn't have been so bad if you're with someone who know the mountain and it wasn't so foggy! We had flown into Boise and got a rental car. Seemed like it took forever to get there! If you really want to go to Idaho, how about NICE at Schweitzer with the rest of us Bomber folks?

I enjoyed it very much although not much new snow when I was there. I favored the runs on the left side of the resort. Many are labeled Green but seem more like Blues. I only saw one other carver when I was there. Watch out for the skiers as they don't understand carving. I was nearly run over a few times by skiers. Hope this will be helpful.

Hey art, Sun Valley was cool. It was cold something we dont expereince up here. I brought my sl and all mountain board. They did get a few inches why I was there. They dont look for carvers, so youll have to grow eyes on the back of your head. I did see 2 carvers there. one I did ride with for alittle he was a locale. but I forgot his name. Its not the locales, it all tourists that are there that bomb down the hill.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just in the library looking at the current "Men's Journal." They have an article on what they consider to be the top 5 ski resorts in the world, and Sun Valley is one of them, singled out for grooming and carving. Boise is almost 3 hours away, and there really aren't any big population centers or reliable airports within close proximity. This supposedly makes for uncrowded slopes even during busy holiday periods. I suppose I could bust out of my cheapskate habits to buy a season pass, but I wonder how the rents in the area are? ...thinking...

I suppose I could make it to N.I.C.E. this season, but it is still a long drive even from Utah. I was there in 2011 when I was still living in the Seattle area and the drive is pretty short from there. (Kathy, I was the guy in the top bunk.) I gotta go to WTF too.

• 4 months later...

On the way to COW at Targhee I stopped by Sun Valley to look around the town. While sitting in the Warm Springs base area parking lot I ran into hardbooter Marc with what looked like an ancient Burton and TD1s. I also drove to the Dollar Mountain area and saw some runs that looked seriously carveable. Anybody been on them?

ty4e3uha.jpgu6aqa2ab.jpg9ezymeve.jpg

Edited by ExcelsiorTheFathead

• 8 months later...