Note to New Members ×

Coiler AMT-Vsr 168 Asym core

33876_4123243632764_2005367826_n.jpg?oh=

Finally got to put some miles on my Evil Coiler AM vsr this week and AGAIN Bruce delivers the goods. I was not sure about the board the first couple times I got on it as it was built a bit stiffer than others I got from him in the past, but that all changed this week once I got it dialed in. This board really takes advantage of the VSR concept 9m 11m 10m, 16 mm of taper. The taper really allows you to use the tail in many different ways and 11m mid cut helps you to lock it in the turn crossing the hill. I used it yesterday 1-09-2103 at Mt Snow and it really shined. It is like many Coilers when I say that it has no problem understanding rider input, even when you give it the wrong input it didnt throw me in the trees. My latest love was a VSR-T Freecarve 177 which I was using exclusively for the last 2 seasons. I used for a few runs yesterday but this AM board allows you to utilize the mountain in so many different ways I put the 177 away. Personally I get tired of "Just Carving" after a few runs and this new AM board let me do any trail and use many different riding styles. Im sure many of the people here have been out on a carving board and come across a trail saying, "Not on this board" well this AM can deal with any trail or at least at Mt Snow, and you dont have to be technical in your carves All the time. You can sit on the tail and do quick back foot cross unders along the side of tight trails with out it balking a bit. In fact it seemed to do that very well, and once the trail widened a bit I was able to dive into some nice laid out carves having to dump the snow out of the heel side my jacket multiple times through out the day:1luvu:. Being a 168 the smallest of the carving boards I have got from Coiler I was a bit concerned about speed limits. Im sure there are some here that could find a way to exceed the speed limit of this board but I feel I represent the masses here when I say speed limit was not a concern. After "carving" for 15 seasons I will say I got a bit board doing the same turns all day, this board excels in so many different styles it opens up a whole new segment of the mountain to play on.

So :biggthump:biggthump to the Coiler 168 AMT-VSR Asym core.

Edited by Bobby Buggs

• 3 weeks later...

Great review! Glad you like it; Bruce totally sold me on this. I've got the 171 VSR AM Tight (10.5-12-11) non-asym and love its versatility. Was trying to "convince" Bruce to go 177cm but he said there would be no point (my concern being that it would wash out at high speeds but haven't had an issue yet). VSR is very useful for days when you get the first few early morning runs to yourself, but when the meat-gates come out, cranking tighter turns is doable. And I hear you on rider input...once you find those sweet spots it's such a versatile tool!

I'm curious as to what the advantage of the asym core is? How is it built differently and how does it change the ride?

Edited by Hilux
Grahmer n spelin

I have a 165 VSR AM XT Asym and it is my go to board for every snow type or terrain. The board is built the same as a non asym board but with a twist, depending if you are goofy or regular the front heel side edge of the core is thinned out ever so slightly as well as the rear toe side edge. This compensates for the angle of your foot on the board giving you the ability to rock side to side instead of driving front to back threw out your turns, allowing for a more effective turn. The lay up when building the board is the same its only the core that is different. The first time you ride a asym board it feels a little on the soft side because you are driving instead of rocking side to side but the more you ride it you soon forget about the asym, that is until you try and ride another board and it feels like more work and stiffer.

• 5 months later...

I have been riding those style bindings for over 10 seasons and love the simplicity of them. I have a few pairs and they have not let me down. Currently riding the white Track 700 boots. On a follow up to the board it really shined for me in my limited days this season. I found my self using it more than the other boards I have and look at it as my first choice unless its a perfect groomed out corduroy day. Even then I would use this board later in the day after I got tired of straight carving. It really brought back the fun factor of riding for me and has me thinking about when I will be starting Snowboard training in the gym. Blink and it will be October.

I have a Coiler Nirvana that I also take off the groomed routinely. If I had my druthers for a day of just bumps or pow I would probably take my old glass AM and I imagine the metal version is even better, but the Nirvana works suprisingly well.

I also use and like F2 bindings, I use the step-in Titanflex.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

So 5 years later and I still love this board. I only got out 2 days this year and both times I didn't most of the day on this board. It did everything I asked if it until my legs died. Can't go wrong with one of these.

dpjlAGcWWXG2e1OrXnMA2o3FV_5E6yaA7MsrfXri

Edited by Bobby Buggs
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bobby Buggs said:

So 5 years later and I still love this board. I only got out 2 days this year and both times I didn't most of the day on this board. It did everything I asked if it until my legs died. Can't go wrong with one of these.

Bobby, you still RIP on this board! One thing that impresses the hell out of me, is that when I'm following you on my Pure Boarding TWO 158 with 9m sidecut radius, you can turn fast and TIGHT! Crazy tight. I'm on a 9 meter SCR board and I have to be on it to follow you down the mountain and match your turns. 

This is also true for your other Coiler VSR board. Both of the Coiler VSR boards you ride are 171-175 cm in length with larger sidecut radii than my little 158 at 9 meters and it just doesn't seem to matter to you.

And you've only been out 2 days this season?? Thanks for putting the rest of us to shame. I have some work to do, my friend.  

Edited by lafcadio
  • Thanks 1