Note to New Members ×

need a little help on desscribing boot fit problem.

hoffmac11

so my boots still make my toes go numb, so im going to get them adjusted, but i need help trying to clearify my problem. heres my set up

head stratos pro 29.5

super thin silk socks

i can only wear my boots for about 30 minutes before my toes, and only my toes start to go numb, after 45 minutes, there completely numb. and the numbness is no where else. i have had my boots origionaly sized correctly, so their not to small, or to big. i have tried foot beds with raised arches but they did not help it at all, or make it worse. i have taken a picture of my feet after riding, and i believe my toes are going numb because my boots are pinching a vein on the top of my foot. the top of my foot is red, the heal, and the outside part of my foot is red. so i suppose it could be any of those locations pinching a vein, but the top of my foot i can clearly see a vein that heads directly to my toes, so thats where im putting the blame. plus if i tie my golf shoes to tight, the tongue goes over that same vein, and it can actually cause just my toes to start to go numb. and unstrapping the buckles on the lift only slows down the process.

So my question is, is it possible to stretch a boot so i dont have the pressure on top of my foot, but still not get heel lift in the boot? also, to imagine were the vein is on my foot, put a pair of sandals on, and where the strap goes over your foot is about where the vien is.

Sounds like your bootfitter might like to look at the inside of the shell under your forefoot to see if he can grind it down a little. This will lower just that part of your foot and might take the pressure off a bit. it will also likely make that part fit wider (you'll be in a wider part of the shell) so you may need to compensate for that in turn, but I doubt it.

hoffmac11,

We have had customers come in with similar issues and here is what we have done to fix it:

They had a foot "guy" (podiatrist) figure out what vein/area is being pinched while in the boot. Once that is identified we tape some extra material along that vein (like cardboard or form or ?) and then fit them in a full moldable liner.

Once done remove the extra material covering that area and now you have a "pocket" or channel that does not push down in that area. Not sure what liner you have in those Heads but this generally only works with fully moldable liners.

Hope this helps.

Well I just have stock liners. I hope I don't need new liners since I need to get a few other boots worked on to. 3 liners would be like 1000 dollars. And for that, I'd consider no longer hard booting, or skiing. Just soft boot riding.

Im heading to the shop today, so I will see what the boot fitter says.

Your instep needs a sunroof.

Most conventional liners use a tongue with a plastic outer 'shell', and an elastic band to keep the tongue 'centered' in the liner proper. Visualize the area of impingement, transfer this to the outer layer of the tongue (sharpie, chalk, lipstick, henna), and either thin the material, or excise the elastic/plastic such that the top of your foot receives uniform contact when the boot is buckled.

It may not take much to make a difference, so start small.

That's actually a good idea I think. Guess ill just do a little at a time. I have noticed that when I wear just my liners, it takes about 45 minutes and my toes will start to go numb. So that plastic could be the very cause. And if it matters, I never have my toes go numb other than in ski boots. I just about always wear hiking boots that are tied tight with never a problem.

What a huge differance that made cutting a bit of plastic out. I was able to wear my boots for a hour strapped down to what I would ride at, were before I'd only have them on the first notch. When I did get some numbness, all I had to do was walk around and the feeling came back. We're Definately on the right track. I'm going to trim just a little more and then get the toe box opened just a little. Thanks a lot for that tip Beckmann AG, that was huge