Note to New Members ×

LDP and my fat belly

slopestar

I just have to thank LDP for helping me to lose my fat belly this past summer/fall. I go every couple of nights and do about 8-12 miles around the neighborhood. North Huntington Beach offers wide and smooth sidewalks and quiet streets for my evening workouts. With full pads and a red bike lamp hanging from my belt loop, I get quite a few honks and long looks from cars and late night walkers. It is the only thing keeping me same and fit for the So Cal season that has not yet appeared. I have lost about 30 lbs and 3" from my waist and feel great. C'mon winter.

+1. 25lbs and about 2". Went from 230 ish to 206 between the beginning of August and mid-October when I had to stop as the weather around here wouldn't allow it any longer. BAck up to about 212 right now and waiting for classes to finish so I can get out riding.

Dave

Edited by Puddy Tat

Pumping was absolutely the best new thing I picked up this year. It kept my core and legs in shape for the carving season, and brought me a particular kind of joy that is hard to find. Much like carving, it makes the best use of what other people consider to be boring terrain, and allows for a broad expression of technique. All carvers should pump!

• 1 month later...

I'm eating bushings for breakfast... I have been on the injured list with a bad shoulder and back and I can't stand it anymore. No riding for over a month and the boarding season is getting shorter and shorter. I have lost over 40lbs since summer and feel great but the shoulder just needs a work out. I'm going back out LDP after work tomorrow on the strand. Wish me luck...I need to find a bushing supplier bad though...

• 3 weeks later...

Another month and perhaps the bike paths will be getting clear of snow so can bust out the longboard and start pumping again! Stoked!

BTW I went through the bushings on my Bennett's by the end of last season. They were ridiculously chewed, I probably should have replaced them months before I checked them. Anyways looking at picking up a bunch of the Riptide APS Tall Barrel's which were made for the Bennett series trucks. (http://www.riptidebushings.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1849). At least that way I'll be able to test out some different duros.

I sent Thane (www.griffinskateboards.com) an email this morning to see about ordering a Fully Machined Grennett 5.0 and some Array Washers. I'm interested to see how much better than a stock Bennett (with some at home polishing) that his Fully Machined Grennett performs.

So looking forward to pumping again.

Dave

Which bushings? Khiro's? I know someone who uses riptides and chews them down in 2 or 3 sessions. But I believe it is the bushing seat/hanger which eats the bushings. I use reflex and never have any problems. But then again, I'm on the lite side... (I do run them real tight which helps)

My front bennett 5.0 kingpin hangs awful low and at slow speed is a danger. Also Where the kingpin passes through the hanger, the hangar has been chewed up by the kingpin. I use 3 bushings to get the right feel. a small orange cone on the baseplate/ a dark blue cone inverted making an hourglass under the hanger and a light blue large/tall full barrel whittled into a cone between the hangar and kingpin nut/washer. Works great but...wears fast. for every two light blues, I eat one dark blue. I get about 50 miles on the light blue...I change bushings weekly. I have never had to change my rear tracker rts stock bushings... Overdue for a closer inspection...

I used the original Bennett bushing in the board for the season (well past the life of the bushing) and noticed that the hanger had been impacting the kingpin and the bushing was basically trying to extrude through the slot. Board needs new bushings, and the hanger needs to be polished so it won't chew up any Delrin Spherical I put in there.

I've heard that investing in a Delrin spherical (from Griffin Skate) or going to a Hobo spherical (see pavedwave.org) helps cut down on the bushings getting eaten by the hanger and the hanger getting eaten by the kingpin. This is one of the reasons I'm buying the Grennett this season. I think he sells a Bennett tune up kit for like $25 that includes a Delrin cup, Delrin Spherical and a few other goodies that makes a standard Bennett pump better. I know polishing the head of my Bennett hanger (where it goes into the cup) made the system run much more smoothly.

The Grennett also changes that kingpin for a rounded head allen bolt making it less likely to catch.

Dave

a delrin spherical or a hobo works well too. That's definitely a good investment. Definitely try reflexes. Also, how loose/tight is your front truck?

http://pavedwave.wordpress.com/help/

the videos should help. Part 4 video also shows how to test for proper rebound for the front truck so it won't be too loose or tight. (it's a good starting point)

a delrin spherical or a hobo works well too. That's definitely a good investment. Definitely try reflexes. Also, how loose/tight is your front truck?

http://pavedwave.wordpress.com/help/

the videos should help. Part 4 video also shows how to test for proper rebound for the front truck so it won't be too loose or tight. (it's a good starting point)

I was set up like that when I started riding. Not so much by the end of the season. Actually come to think of it I think I chewed up that front bushing on the Bennett in about a month? Maybe less.

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...