Note to New Members ×

Afton Alps 2012/2013

Scott.Creer

Scott's report was pretty spot on. He neglected to mention how busy 5 can get with tourists. I spotted Chris from the Ski and Ride school sporting a vintage (ca. 2000) Factory Prime. I was able to take a run with him before I needed to defrost my face from the compressed air snowguns giving me artificial freshies.

If it gets cold enough they can turn on the Hedco's and make almost a foot overnight. Looking at the weather report, next weekend should have the whole frontside open.

Rode Afton today 9-10:30 then rode Hyland 11:45 to 1:30. I was on my NSR and Bomber Plate, and it was a bit challenging. Conditions were actually OK, but the groom was not. Tons of ruts and holes everywhere. The best ride was the run with the boxes and stuff on it, other than that it was skiers right of chair 7. Right under 7 is not open and looks to be a low priority as it is still green. The forecast doesnt look too good, lets hope they are wrong. 2 was open, but looked extremely sporty so I didn't venture over there.

Went home and did Nike + Fitness Training on the Kinect and it kicked my butt.

After going through a few Spring-like days, conditions should get better about midweek. The cooling pond is full to the brim. We may even get snow next weekend. Definitely a few thin spots were forming yesterday, but still enjoyable and able to hold an edge.

For all the rain, conditions were pretty good early and deteriorated later. Fast snow. Snow cover is marginal.

Saw my friend from the ski school, the monoboarder. Zinged me that my bindings were on wrong. Of course it took him 8 months to formulate a response to the question "Is that a snowboard?" I told him not to believe everything you read on the internet.

Have an epic day!

Edited by bonzo

Saturday afternoon was alright, Sunday morning was amazing on easy 2. Snow was firm, and the zipping noise was back under my mitten as it hit the snow.

Talked to Nate about bringing back "Afton Stubby Night". He said we can have the stubbies and lane space if we want it. He will put us in the schedule. So my question is, who is interested? What night or early weekend day morning works best?

• 2 weeks later...

They are making snow like crazy. The only runs that didn't have the snow guns on were on either side of chair 1 and chair 7. Snow was great there, but almost every other run had soft (man made) snow on it that made it a little tricky to carve. I would love to try the Stubby Night, but would not be able to make it on a regular basis. Pick what ever night works best and I will try and be there at least once or twice.

They are making snow like crazy. The only runs that didn't have the snow guns on were on either side of chair 1 and chair 7. Snow was great there, but almost every other run had soft (man made) snow on it that made it a little tricky to carve. I would love to try the Stubby Night, but would not be able to make it on a regular basis. Pick what ever night works best and I will try and be there at least once or twice.

Get used to it. The plan is to make snow 24/4 or 5. Turn off the water on the weekends (or when it is too warm to make snow), but the rest of the time blow like there is no tomorrow. Large consumers of electricity can negotiate a flat rate for certain months when demand is low.

Stubby night will not be a regular night, I am thinking 2-4 times this season. I am just trying schedule those times when others can attend.

I came down with the flu (even though I was a fool and got the shot) the day after Christmas, which then caused me to have pneumonia. Knocked me on my butt. Hopefully I will be back on snow next weekend.

I came down with the flu (even though I was a fool and got the shot) the day after Christmas, which then caused me to have pneumonia. Knocked me on my butt. Hopefully I will be back on snow next weekend.

ms. bobble and i both have the flu. we went to las vegas and somehow contracted the bug. the incubation is 1 to 4 days after exposure. there were four of us in vegas. probably contracted it on new years eve from eating at NY NY. i came back a few days early for work. went to work last thursday and started hacking. i thought i had a cold. that evening i was up all night coughing. called in sick on friday and saw my asthma doctor. i thought i had the beginnings of a severe cold as it went right to my lungs. he gave me azithromycin. later i started to develop a fever.

ms. bobble went to urgent care in vegas and was tested positive for influenza type A and got tamiflu. had i known i had the flu i would've done to urgent care instead to get tamiflu. not sure if azithromycin can knock down the flu.

saturday i felt fine in the morning. thought the worst was behind me. saturday afternoon i had to pick up ms. bobble from the airport. all along the way i felt delirious. got home and took my temp and it was 103F. took some tylenol and got it down to 101F.

taking it easy sunday. still have a slight temp.

it sucks to be sick

to week to play halo, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday 1/20 Nice groomers, cold weather. Had to take it easy with training on 7 and 12. Orthopedic surgeon on patrol examined my should and diagnosed me with a probable partially torn rotator cuff. Advice: "try not to re-injure it." I concur.

No wait, it gets better. This injury was sustained Friday night when a boarder plowed into me from behind near the bottom of 14. The hit was so hard that it bent my binding and the step in heel piece has to be replaced.

It gets even better, the perp tried to run and hide, then denied it, then blamed me. You think they could see me in a red coat with a big reflective white cross on the back and the shoulders.

Could it get even better? Yes! I am going out west on Saturday bruised and battered. Vitamin I and rest until then.

Sunday 1/20 Nice groomers, cold weather. Had to take it easy with training on 7 and 12. Orthopedic surgeon on patrol examined my should and diagnosed me with a probable partially torn rotator cuff. Advice: "try not to re-injure it." I concur.

No wait, it gets better. This injury was sustained Friday night when a boarder plowed into me from behind near the bottom of 14. The hit was so hard that it bent my binding and the step in heel piece has to be replaced.

It gets even better, the perp tried to run and hide, then denied it, then blamed me. You think they could see me in a red coat with a big reflective white cross on the back and the shoulders.

Could it get even better? Yes! I am going out west on Saturday bruised and battered. Vitamin I and rest until then.

did you clip his lift ticket?

get well.

Thanks. My recovery trajectory looks promising right now.

I am there to provide medical assistance. All I can say is that the incident was referred to Vail Management. I provide them with the facts and let them deal with guest relations. Vail is highly concerned with the safety of their employees and guests.

Board safe, have fun.

excellent snow this weekend! :biggthump i was skiing with the kids all day saturday. crowds were light, and the snow was awesome.

today, powell1.8 and i rode chair 7 and 16. turns out there was some ussa clinics going on at chair 2. we ventured over, and watched a bunch of kids skiing on one ski down hard 2! most of them weren't skidding either. carving inside, and outside turns. yee-haw! there was some serious talent on the hill. john was out video taping, so hopefully the afton youtube page will have some of the action soon.

but 7 and 16 were money. powell1.8 kept remarking how "grippy" the snow was. we got lots of head turning and staring. some of the otto haulus instructors gave us thumbs up! we only stayed until 11:45 though. i was cold, and the sleet had started. plus i got to come home and work on taxes. yeah, fun times.

see y'all weds!

-trent

• 2 weeks later...

I got out this AM during the snowstorm. The visibility was not good and the snow was OK. One of the ski racers from Brainard put it well- it's kind of grippy under the fluff. 2 people thought that I was Trent. I am sure that it was the way that I was ridding, or maybe it was the bright green pants that I had on. :) Sorry I couldn't make it out last week, work got in the way.