Note to New Members ×

Travel Insurance for snowboard racers and other adveturous types

SunSurfer

Not quite sure where to put this post, but figured the information might be useful to others on Bomber.

Went to SES in 2012 and ran the NASTAR course at Snowmass a few times. No significant falls/crashes but aware that my travel insurance package did not cover me if I injured myself "racing". All the policies I'd looked at in NZ excluded races of any kind apart from races on foot.

Fast forward to 2013, I will again be at SES and will run NASTAR, but this time have found an insurance company (IHI-BUPA, part of BUPA International) that has travel insurance covering a wide range of adventurous activties, including snowboard racing and appropriately equipped off piste skiing/boarding. Policies are able to be bought over the net by travellers worldwide travelling almost worldwide. Insurance is a little more expensive than the locally available standard type, but worth it to me for the peace of mind.

http://www.ihi.com/

Excluded activities include the following

24) active participation in any motorsport show, motorsport race or motorsport competition, base jumping, paragliding and mountaineering that requires specialized climbing equipment,

26) search and rescue services,

27) expeditions, mountaineering and trekking in Antarctica, the North Pole and Greenland,

28) injury caused by gross negligence and/or with intent.

plus a range of illegal, immoral and fattening activities. (see policy conditions documents on website for details)

SunSurfer

Thanks for posting this. I get a yearly one that I use when I go to the US, but after reading a horror story a couple of months back about a Kiwi guy who crashed his scooter in Thailand and discovered he wasn't covered, I'm going to read the fine print before I renew it again. Might be interesting to figure out what they do exclude - I don't think the Thai hospital would have anything on a US one for cost if you ended up uninsured.