Note to New Members ×

Rocker Technology Review

Elisa

Hey Everyone!

I was hoping I could get some opinions on rocker technology for a soft set up from some more experienced carvers. I'm a pretty average hardbooter but am looking to dial in my carving on a soft setup this season. I've been recommended the Never Summer 157 Lotus but I'm second guessing the board's rocker. Any opinions or alternative board suggestions would be wonderful.

Thanks!

Elisa

More rocker than I would want personally. How about a Coiler softie, or a Donek Saber? Both are mostly cambered but rockered on the ends, very stable, very carvy, grippy decks. Not to mention, fun. As with anything made to order, they are gender-blind... BTW my wife actually has one of each.

Hey Elisa! I am actually in the process of picking up a Lotus up myself. I rode this board in my hardboots, and was amazed at how well it held up. I was very concerned about the rocker, but quickly found that it wasnt an issue. The board is solid and held up to everything I put into it. I would definately recommend it.

Mike,

Thank you very much for the suggestions. If things do not work out with the Lotus I will absolutely look into Coiler and Donek. Although I do not know if I'm at the level to be customizing my own board. Maybe someday soon.

Steph,

That's wonderful to hear you've already rocked the Lotus and would recommend it! I'm going to do my best to demo the board before I commit (I think Out of Bounds demos the 154). I'm really happy to hear it was holding its turns well - would you recommend putting a bevel on the edge right away? How did you find the transition between turns? I have the feeling it's going to have more of a surfing feel versus that pop and I'm afraid I'm going to miss popping out of my turns.

Lets make a date to ride together this year - I'd love to watch and learn from you!

Elisa

You have to keep in mind, that its not a carving board, but a great freeride board that happens to carve decent. Its more of a smooth ride vs. dynamic & poppy. If you can demo at OOB, try the 154. I think you'll still get a good feel for it, even in the shorter length. As for base bevels, i would go ahead w/whatever you normally ride with. Hope this helps!

I'd love to ride with you anytime, just send me an email at vtsttad at yahoo dot com! Also, I know you ride k-town a bunch. You should definately try to hook up with Amy up there too. She works at Basin & is an amazing carver/rider. She has a lotus also!!

Funny I just spent a whole week researching what your looking for...

The Lotus is up there for all mountain performance.. There are great reviews of many boards on Snowboardreviews.com

I just pick up NOS of last years Rome Blue at Evo sports online they have 155's left great review on the board also You Tube it... theres a vid from the Manufacture describing it..

If I had the money I would have picked up this years Arbor Push ...check it out on the Arbor site..This gets very high ratings.. and many say you can't beat Positive Camber for all mountain performance and groomer edge hold... Most say Rocker is ok in the pow but you lose stability and edge hold if you charge hard on crud and groom.. Then you get these gull wing rockers... scary!!

Have fun.. but look up the Arbor Push..if nothing else...make a very nice coffee table..Bamboo..

RSS

Hi Elisa,

I have been riding Status Snowboards for the last two years now. I have two Status Uno's. One is a 163cm and the other I think is a 168cm. Both of these boards incorporate the rocker technology. I ride both ot them with Burton soft boots and ride bindings. These boards were built to carve with softboots. I will post some videos this up and coming season of some guys carving on them but for now I think you should visit the website and see for yourself.

http://www.statussnow.com

Thank you all for the opinions and suggestions. I plan on trying the Lotus out next weekend, hopefully I will know right away if the rocker is for me. If not I'll take a look into all of the boards you have suggested. Snowboard shopping in a rush is not an easy task. The girl in me wishes it was more like dress shopping - try a bunch on in one day and pick the one that fits the best. :)

I'll let you all know how the demo goes. Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Update:

I was always a true believer in “It’s all about the Indian and not the Arrow”. Holy Crap was I wrong!

One run on my new Lotus and I was amazed at how much I was being held back by my equipment my whole life. By the end of the day I was confidently digging faster and deeper turns because the board was actually holding my speed through them . . . unheard of. And all I had to do was think about making a turn and the board would initiate it. I had also been worried about losing the playful pops out of turns and I am excited to report that even with the rocker I could still make that happen.

And here’s the weirdest thing of all. . . now that I’ve found a board I am compatible with I am finally figuring out where my shoulders should be. I can’t wait to take this enlightenment and apply it to my hardbooting.

Yay Rocker!

Hey Elisa! Glad to hear that you went with the lotus & are loving it. Santa delivered me one for christmas & I've already enjoyed 2 powder days on it. It is an awesome board! I cant believe im gonna say this, but i may even get a soft set up for it.

Let me know when you are heading up this way to ride your new board! The conditions are killer!!!!

A little late to the party, but FWIW, I picked up a NS heritage last year. It's a little more middle of the road than the lotus, but I did demo the premier (same as lotus) before buying, and had a similar impression.

I'll compare it to a donek incline, which is my more carving oriented free ride board.

Pros:

Way better in powder - the rocker really helps keep the front end from submarine-ing. My 161 is nearly as easy in powder as my 169 O-sin 3800.

Way faster turning and more manueverable in bumps and trees.

Still holds an edge fairly well and is fun to carve on.

Cons:

Has a little tendency to wander on flats/traverses. But doesn't bite and kill you, so not a big deal.

Although fun, it is very distinct step down in hard carving ability from the Donek Incline. Especially when the groom gets firm.

It's my favorite all around board though, and I only pull out the donek (or hardboots) when I know I'm going to be on groomers all day.