Note to New Members ×

Winterstick founder receiving award

boardguru

Winterstick pioneer and founder Dimitrije Milovich is to receive an award Thursday Nov. 1, 2012 at the Little America hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Go to this website for more info http://www.lib.utah.edu/collections/ski-archives/ski-affair-2000-2010.php

It is RSVP and tickets are $65.00 per person.

Come out and honor one of the godfathers of snowboarding. (In my and many others minds, the inventor of surfing powder).

Mick Thueson

Edited by boardguru
email address

This should be a great event. Dmitiri Milovich has influenced many people directly and indirectly by his development of the Winterstick. I met him when I moved to Utah many years ago, and I have only met him a few other times since the mid-1970's. His invention has provided enjoyment for myself and my family and friends to the present time. It's fun to watch it all come 'full circle' again with fledgling companies producing rockered powder boards. I've met and ridden with many riders who owe their enjoyment of surfing powder to Mr. Milovich. Many of us who are local to Utah and to had access to the Winterstick factory in SLC and it's products feel lucky. We got to surf powder for several years before the lifts allowed modern-day snowboarding. Yes, there were other board companies at the time but, having Wintersticks produced locally made it even more special.

If you've ever ridden a Winterstick Swallowtail in deep pow, you know that it is a different feel and ride than riding a modern conventional board. The rider is more centered over the board, no leg burn. It allows for a more aggressive turns, whether long and drawn out or quick staccato-like turns, the 'sticks could do it all.

Thanks for posting, Mick. See you there!

Mark

post-101-141842373524_thumb.jpg

Edited by utahcarver

Gosh wish I could attend...please send my regards to Dimitrije when you see him!

I know he doesn't have so much time to ride these days with work, but would love to see if he still rides his modified Nitros Pow ( he drilled inserts so he could ride them further upfront for he likes riding the nose under the surface in deep pow...)..

thnx

Nils

Gosh wish I could attend...please send my regards to Dimitrije when you see him!

I know he doesn't have so much time to ride these days with work, but would love to see if he still rides his modified Nitros Pow ( he drilled inserts so he could ride them further upfront for he likes riding the nose under the surface in deep pow...)..

thnx

Nils

Nils: I hope that there are a few pictures to post and some great stories to tell in a few weeks. Mick and I will be able to relate how it went after the fete. I'm sure that between the former team riders, people who worked at the factory, riders who still ride Dmitri's designs, and other admirers it will be a great evening in Salt Lake City.

Mark

Edited by utahcarver
Mark Mark (?)

Nils: I hope that there are a few pictures to post and some great stories to tell in a few weeks. Mick and I will be able to relate how it went after the fete. I'm sure that between the former team riders, people who worked at the factory, riders who still ride Dmitri's designs, and other admirers it will be a great evening in Salt Lake City.

Mark

Thnx! Please do take pictures!!

Nils

thnx

Nils

nils you can go to the Utahwindriders.com site and find him there and send him a message if you would like. He is a active windsurfer, and around the beach once in a while. I se him once or twice a year, he is still one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.... I wish he would learn to snowkite.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night in SLC, Utah, Dmitri Milovich was honored by the Utah Ski Archives with a History Maker Award. In his remarks, Milovich praised those who helped him in developing his boards. One of which was Alta ski area, which was the first place that snow-surfing was granted lift-access (in Utah). Imagine, Alta! Thanks, again Dmitri, Mick, Scott and all of the others who broke trail.

Top photo: board-guru and Wink plotting a global takeover using nothing but Wintersticks.

Bottom photo: utahcarver and Mr. Milovich. Note the red Winterstick ST in the background; deck has broken glass shards in it for traction.

post-101-141842374139_thumb.jpg

post-101-141842374142_thumb.jpg