Note to New Members ×

Mtn Bike Rider - Night Light Suggestions?

fishrising

Hey those of you that ride mtn bikes in the dark....what do you use for light systems, or what do you wish you used for light systems?

I'm in the market and can't decide, budget of up to about $400ish, but would rather stay in the $200 range.

So far I've been thinking this: 2 x Nightrider Lumina 650s, one for my helmet one for my handle bars, or this setup: DiNotte XML-3 on handle bars with a 400L on helmet.

Thoughts?

I've got some experience in this field, I rode quite a bit at night and early mornings, when I owned a bike shop. I also rode some 24hr solo races(Montezuma's Revenge and 24hrs of Moab). It's best to have both a helmet and handlebar light. If you can only have one, go with a helmet mount, so you can see around corners. Night-Rider is a great company. There is a company called Cygo-lite. They make some inexpensive stuff but still works well. I know I have one of their set ups. Any shop that deals with J&B Importers can order it for you. With the cheaper price you won't get the weight savings from a more expensive system. Also if you go for a basic nickle-metal hydride(Ni-MH), that should save you some $'s. I guess I'm old school but I personally don't like LED's. I know they talk in lumins or something now, but a 10-15 watt halogen light works well. Marwi is also another good company that I've used. Got to get back to making parts for Fin. Hope this helps. Go fast, take chances, Gary

• 3 weeks later...