Note to New Members ×

Another Sad Story - Mammoth Lakes Files for Bankruptcy

Miltie

Years of cumulative mismanagement and hundreds of instances toward fast-tracking of negligible (headlong) projects by councilmen created this. Gross mis-spending (e.g. "Fed Grant D to partially pay for project A, and B when A/B funds were used to 'study' future project C") and lack of transparency (closed-door special sessions) provided this environment for the Chapter 9.

It is very difficult to overproject a uniquely beautiful area, and then overbuild to the Aspen/Vail model that could never fit. Each season the 'theme' was revisited and again 'Peer resort tours' enacted at taxpayer expense, and the result remained more of the same: the theme/fascia for each new project changing at whim of every new Developer to come to town in the last 10 years...

Most importantly--we the public let those misbehaving cats to their devices while we instead focused our days/eves/seasons on the Eastern Sierra's beauty, right?

So. Yes it is sad, but life will go on. Pointing fingers cannot possibly change the facts at this point.

Incidentally, the bankruptcy will likely affect the Ski Area in at least some capacity given JMSA and the USFS factors: The MMSA is facing lots of refund and public backlash, potential lawsuit (according to at least a few). Closing JMSA will certainly challenge the public to demand a halt to any land-exchange USFS influence, there are land-use leases and Public Goodwill to consider as well. The MMSA cannot effectively be forced to retain JMSA operations this season, but the alternative does look nasty on many levels.

But if you are healthy, enjoy the areas that are viable to you in any case. ??Mountain High: they got SWATCH tour where MMSA could not. You don't have to like the SoCal traffic or sell-out ski days, but ice/hardpack are simply opportunities to learn accountability for your technique, right? If you get the chance to travel to the Sierras or beyond, enjoy the opportunity to have a different kind of (productive) ski-day.

So true. Over zealous development with only quick profits in mind has hurt so many. This is another example of greed.

On the other note about riding less favorable conditions at local so cal resorts like Mountain High/Wrightwood CA, let's me develop my riding. Freefall and Headwall at Mt High West are rarely crowded as the less capable jib, jump and skid crews don't like the steeps. I love gouging these two runs every time I go ( if East is closed ) I usually get up to High about 25 days of my 30 or so days a season and typically run about 16-25 laps on the High Speed Quad depending on fatigue and conditions. It might be fun to get anyone local to come to the High instead of Summit. Hey! Just had an idea. 2 day SNES or SCES with one day at Summit and one day at Mountain High. Just a thought. Side, side note...I have been working on and dabbling with LDP skateboards this off season( thanks for the deck Arclite and Carving Chef ) and have really enjoyed it. Just fluid weaving without pumping is a great workout and ZEN like for the mind. Hope you all have a great summer and SAVE JUNE!